Canned Cacti!

This forum is reserved for you to post a list of what you grow and/or what you want to trade -no discussion posts please
JoshKafel

Canned Cacti!

Post by JoshKafel »

Hello all. A while ago i was messing around with some old bean tins and ended up making these. i now stock them in some local florists and garden centers.

http://www.crimblepowdercoating.co.uk/page/cacti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is my webpage.

Please let me know what you think, many thanks Josh.
cactuslee

Re: Canned Cacti!

Post by cactuslee »

that's ome way to recycle, and kind of cool too.
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

I think that it is a 'cute' idea in theory.
However, some problems arise within a year when most of the "Cacti" will need to be repotted.

Also, many of the plants that you are marketing as cacti are actually succulents; which, the average consumer probably doesn't mind. But is, however one of those little things that I will nit pick a bit about on a C&S forum.

I think the paint job on the cans is honestly really good and probably the best marketing feature!
But, my thoughts go right back to the fact that the plants will need repotting then people will toss the can.

Also, if the plants are set in direct sunlight in these cans there is a good chance that it will overheat the roots of some plants and could kill them. I am guessing the paint may help a tiny bit in keeping the can slightly cooler.

If the cans do not have holes in the bottom of them then they will probably retain water offering the plants an opportunity to rot.

I hope you don't feel like I am being a downer on your idea... I am just trying to be honest about some of the problems you and your customers may face.

Best of luck to you either way! :)
JoshKafel

Post by JoshKafel »

no no not at all, i welcome all thoughts! I need honesty on such matters!
I have one of my prototypes that has been potted in a tin nearly a year now and is doing fine (so far). Also yeah im aware that some are succulents, but for most people as you say i dont think it will matter. I water them very very little . 15ml every 6/7 weeks. Il probably get laughed at on here for not looking after them properly but that's why im here :) . They have been selling so some do like them at the moment, but i guessed id be able to make the product better by talking to people who know, what they are talking about more.
I gather that succulents grow more than the cacti, so looking into choosing the more slow growing cacti to give a longer life in its tin until it needs re-potting maybe.

thanks again for the feedback!
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

I think using slower growing cacti is a good idea.

Do you buy the plants or do you grow them yourself from seed/offsets/cuttings?