heating

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
sasha1054

heating

Post by sasha1054 »

hi all just joined this site looks really cool
if pos could anyone help me tell the best kind of electric heater to get as just got a new greenhouse 14 x 6 so need something that is going to withstand winter temp for that size greenhouse

thanks guys
iann

Re: heating

Post by iann »

Where do you live? Not that we plan on visiting, but there is a big difference between heating a greenhouse in San Diego and one in Chicago ;)
--ian
sasha1054

Post by sasha1054 »

yea hi im in southeast england county essex i guess the lowest temp we get is - 7 out side ive been told to maintain the greenhouse at 5 degree above so need a heater to cope with a constant temp of 5

thanks
sasha1054

Post by sasha1054 »

hi all

can anyone advice me on what greenhouse fan heater works best for a 6 x 14 greenhouse im in the southeast england also what temp does everyone maintain there greenhouse at in the winter

thanks guys

dean
iann

Post by iann »

-7C :) I also have a "hotbox" which I try to keep to -3C. Anything that can't freeze has to come inside, or at least in somewhere warmer than the greenhouse. This winter was a breeze, the previous two were trouble!

There are various greenhouse heating calculators on the web that will estimate your heating needs far more accurately than I can guess. Not that they're especially accurate, but better than nothing. Most of the time you can probably keep your greenhouse well above freezing with a 2kW heater, but on the very coldest nights you might need double that. Depends how well insulated it is and how warm you want it.
--ian
sasha1054

Post by sasha1054 »

hey mr

thanks for advice
sasha1054

Post by sasha1054 »

ah yea ive heard of the hotbox also someone suggested the biogreen phoenix electric fan heater 2.8 kw i belive is prettymuch the same .
ive only been a cacti grower for 18 months so very new to it i got through the winter in my old greenhouse ok as only had a 8x6 greenhouse and just a small heater which i managed to maintain 4-5 degree even tho it was - 6/7 outside hence im looking for something that is a bit more powerful due to the larger greenhouse i never no what temp to maintain it at in the winter everyone says different lol soo confusing sometimes .

just quickly how much sun in your opinian do you need to be sucessful grower

dean
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Using a few fans is probably a better idea as not only do you want to heat up the space, but you also want to distribute the warmth fairly evenly around the greenhouse, which can be difficult in a large greenhouse. Also, applying some kind of insulation to the inside of your greenhouse is a good idea as well, to save on heating costs and also to help keep the frost out.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog