Rot in the middle or top of a plant

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
neonj

Rot in the middle or top of a plant

Post by neonj »

I noticed a dark spot on a comlumnar cactus near the top. Of couse I poked it was rot. The rotted area is about 1/2 the size of a marble and then it ends. The rest of the plant looks as healthy as a cactus can be.

I have noticed mature opuntia pads with like a little half cicle missing out of the side of it or a hole all the way through that has already healed a long time ago. I've noticed holes in larger older plants that are healed. I feel like most of these scars are probably areas that rotted out.

My question is why does this happen? If the spot is near the bottom then I feel like its from moisture in the soil. But what about a rot spot in the middle of the plant or near the tip? Why or how does rot happen here?

Jeffrey Gibson
clemons

Post by clemons »

i,ve had blue candles do this..i think its from too cool or humid weather..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Lack of adequate ventilation is also a culprit, but your's are outside, right Jeffrey? Is it in a corner someplace with little ventilation?
Bill in SC
neonj

Post by neonj »

Bill in SC wrote:Lack of adequate ventilation is also a culprit, but your's are outside, right Jeffrey? Is it in a corner someplace with little ventilation?
Bill in SC
Yep, this particular plant is outside. It's a young plant. It's a 5 or 6 inch columnar. Except for the very small rot spot, the rest of the plant looks fantastic. I keep a fan on my inside plants.

Jeffrey