Help on Shade Cloth

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Joel143

Help on Shade Cloth

Post by Joel143 »

Hello,

I have majority of my cactus in a unheated greenhouse that gets majority of the direct sun throughout the day. Because the sun in my area can be really intense during mid summer months I want to place a shade cloth over it but unsure what percentage blockage I should get. I have mostly Tricho's, echinopsis and other cereus along with some fero's and mamms. I was looking at about a 30% sun block. I know when it comes to Tricho's, echinopsis and cereus direct sun can be damaging. Any thoughts please.
CoronaCactus

Re: Help on Shade Cloth

Post by CoronaCactus »

At home we use 30% over our polycarb greenhouse, 40% for our shadehouse. So i think you'd be good with the 30%. You can always add extra peices over the areas where a single layer of 30 is a bit too bright.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Great thanks. Then come winter I can just remove it since with the angle of the sun it won't get as much direct sun due to the trees.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Great!
Are there cacti that 30% would be too little light? Mammilarias or what?
I am thinking of using that over plastic, but am am afraid of etiolation. Do you think it will extend the life of plastic under it?

Thanks,

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
iann

Post by iann »

I'm looking for some *minus* 30% shade cloth :)
--ian
JeffWhiteDevil

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

I used knitted 40% shade cloth last year over my polycarbonate , but this year I am going with 30% only when it's necessary because I noticed some very slight (almost unnoticeable) ‘etiolating’ on a few cacti. I have a few trees that may have helped cause the ‘stretching' later in the season. :|