Aquatic Plant Soil Brands?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Not_an_Expert

Aquatic Plant Soil Brands?

Post by Not_an_Expert »

So I am in the process of trying to find a place in my area that has aquatic plant soil for sale.

The most likely store said they were sold out of the lighter stuff (she said it is similar to kitty litter in texture) but have this other stuff that is heavy and clay-like. When I told her I was trying to make a mix for cacti, she thought I probably am looking for the soil they had sold out of.

So, as I look around, I was hoping someone could suggest a brand of aquatic plant soil that they have purchased in the past.

Thanks!
Tim
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Shultz is what I use.. Here ya go:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW ... mdy00.aspx

Bill in SC
Not_an_Expert

Post by Not_an_Expert »

Good news! I found a place that has it.

So I'll be doing a mix with cactus soil, perlite, and this aquatic plant soil.

If I understand correctly, a 1:1:1 ratio will work.

By the way, I see that I completely missed a very in depth post on this topic started only 3 days ago!

Sorry for buggering up the forum.

Thanks again Bill!
Tim
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

1-1-1 ratio will work, but I usually throw in an extra handful of perlite and APS. I put all the components in a pail. I then moisten the mix as it makes it all adhere together. Not wet, but just moist enough to make it adhere, and it also keeps down the perlite dust which I don't think would be good to breath.. If you water your plants in this mix, and the water runs right in, you have it mixed well. If the water sits on top for very long before it runs in, the mix is not coarse enough. I would also substitute topsoil for the "cactus soil"... Either will work, but sometimes the "cactus soil" mixes have peat in them. I try to avoid peat in any of my mixes.. Hope this gets you going!
Bill in SC
Not_an_Expert

Post by Not_an_Expert »

Thanks again for all of the help, Bill!

I think you should be getting paid commission from the APS manufacturers. :D
iann

Post by iann »

I don't even bother with the perlite any more. Just a 50/50 base mix, adjusted if necessary for particular plants.
--ian
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I pretty much agree Ian. However, the reason I still use the perlite is because it takes up space and makes for good drainage, but is very light in weight. It's easy by the "feel" of the pots to tell if they need a drink. That's the only reason I still use it.. Lightweight..
Bill in SC
iann

Post by iann »

Too lightweight, it floats :evil:
--ian
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

That's where my top layer of gravel does it's work.. It keeps the perlite from coming up..
Bill in SC
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

aps is something i didnt know about and i work for scotts so i know potting soils and garden soils. i am gonna add it to my mix, right now i mix sand, some peat(very little), some potting mix, perlite, and charcoal. i know its a lot of diff stuff but i have easy access to it all and it seems to be worth the trouble cause most of my cactus have flourished, but this is my first year growing cactus so i have much to learn so i appreciate all the advice i have been given so far.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Kenny,
That's funny! That must be a pretty big company, eh. They make the APS in a different place probably.

BTW -now that you've made 10 posts, you can update your profile with a website and/or signature.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

scotts is big but i think we just dont make that product in the midwest, i have never even seen it in our hickabilly town