Pilosocereus Pachycladus in Phoenix Extreme Heat

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Xica_da_Silva

Pilosocereus Pachycladus in Phoenix Extreme Heat

Post by Xica_da_Silva »

Hi all,

I've got a lovely outdoor 2-3 ft tall Pilosocereus that I planted last fall in full sun. He currently seems to be growing well in our warmer temps and very happy. However, even though I know these guys can tolerate heat (originating from the Northeast Brazil), since I haven't seen too many around town here in Phoenix, I'm wondering if they can cope with our extremes of 115F+ temps during July/August? Right now he is surrounded by decorative rocks (which are light in color)...since these are hotter than grass or dirt I wonder if I should rake the rocks away from him by a couple of feet to give him some 'cooling space'? Or are they similar to Saguaros terms of heat tolerance in which they can handle just about any hot temps? (btw, I do know they are sensitive to cold already) Really love this beautiful cactus and want to make sure he survives! :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
tumamoc

Re: Pilosocereus Pachycladus in Phoenix Extreme Heat

Post by tumamoc »

The heat's not the problem. Its the occasional freezing temps that could do it in.
Xica_da_Silva

Post by Xica_da_Silva »

Thanks, Tumamoc.

Yeah. We had a soft freeze last year and even though I covered its 'head' with a styrofoam cup, he still got a little 'frost-bite' underneath it. So maybe next year I'll set some c-7 Christmas lights around him? Hmmm... In fact, he started to grow a new branch from the damaged area, which I understand is fairly common (which I don't mind as it doesn't matter to me whether the cactus is perfectly columnar or not).
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yes, they can take the heat fine, it's the cold that does them in. I am pretty sure I could try one of those in Black Canyon City, and it would die when we get our once every 5-10 hard freeze that hits us. Two years ago we had temps down to 16F and it killed many native plants including some saguaros which are starting to die now.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.