Greenhouse Up and running

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Joel143

Re: Greenhouse Up and running

Post by Joel143 »

Exactly what Harriet said. Weed cloth can work in certsin areas of the country bit like with Harriet here in southern Louisiana weed cloth only makes things worse.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I abandoned weed cloth years ago for similar reasons. Now I use a long knife or round up for plants growing in rocks or cracks.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I was referring to the greenhouse and mine is free of weeds and grasses. And all maybe right in other parts of the country. When it comes to grasses, I find Bermuda the toughest. The root system can be several feet deep and no matter what you do or use, it comes back. I never planted any grass seed, just water the dirt and within one season I had Bermuda lawns. Here in the Central Valley, I battle Horseweed and I think it is called Pigweed. I use Roundup several times and still the plant comes back. The tap roots are almost as long as the plant is tall. I do and continue to use weed cloth around my house. Yes, if weeds do get establish, the roots can make a big mess when you pull them. For me it does help. =D>
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Here we also get a little weed that kind of resembles a small tree with little roundish leaves. That thing will come right through the weed cloth. A 6" one will have like a 8" root system, lol. Pain.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!