Found these on my cactus soil. . .

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Plantcelot

Found these on my cactus soil. . .

Post by Plantcelot »

Hello :D

A couple of weeks ago I found one of these tiny balls on the soil of one of my cactus, I thought it was some type of egg but I didn’t want to kill it, so I left it on my plant and totally forgot about it. Today as I was planting some cactus I found another, same thing, I left it there. Then as I continued planting I started to find lots of them . . . :shock:

Are these some type of eggs or could they be some unknown type of fertilizer? They have some type of liquid inside when you squeeze them.

Does anyone know what they are?

legolas29

Post by legolas29 »

I would definitely say that is fertilizer, very common in commercial potting mixes.

So you can compare, I took a picture of what looks to be the same stuff right out of one of my bags of potting soil:

ImageImage

happy planting…
leg
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Great! Those are the ones. I will not have to worry anymore about strange beings hatching.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Really? I use osmocote that looks like that, but they are hard beads and do not have liquid inside. I've never seen those before. Looks like snail eggs!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Yes, I searched for pics and they also look similar to garden snail eggs. Look at this link:
Garden Snail Eggs

Actually I like snails and slugs, I will relocate them if they happen to hatch.

What really makes me think that they are probably the miracle gro fertilizer balls is that I remember using that brand to do my different soil mixtures and they look just like the ones I found. I´m currently out of it, I need to buy a new bag this week.

I guess the only way to be sure is to squeeze one of these fertilizers to see if they have liquid inside or are solid. I will try that as soon as I get my new bag.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Daiv, osmocote had liquid inside after a short time if the media is moist. That's what they are, time release fertilizer.
Murph

Post by Murph »

im 110% certain it's fertiliser - it's in all kinds of potting mix over here - complete with liquid inside when squished
Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

I must agree with murph i think its just fertilizer if they were snails egg it would not be a problem as the snail hatches and is quite a resonable size to notice so you just move the snail away. Plus Cactus soil has much to free draining soil which drys out quickly snails eggs love moisture when they can get it.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I also agree as I squeezed some Osmocote hard enough and it popped!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti