Greenhouse Move and Expansion

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

Re: Greenhouse Move and Expansion

Post by Harriet »

Looks really good, and you have it all figured out so nicely!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks all!

I really am having fun with this project. It is great working on it. On Saturday, I painted the plywood around the bottom as seen in this picture:
004_gh_new.jpg
004_gh_new.jpg (299.66 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Tony, I used tap water once this year. I did not use it off the farm well, but instead I hauled out some jugs from town. This is not as good as the rainwater, but a lot better than the well water - for plants. For me, I much prefer the well water!

Anyway, the big tank, eaves, and pump are all new, but remember I had several 5 gallon pails under the eaves? So I was able to get a couple watering sessions worth off that with what we did get. Now, with the new setup, a little goes a LONG way. A 1 inch rainfall will give me about 150 gallons - enough to last a long time!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
majcka

Post by majcka »

Excuse me for my ignorance. How is the weather there during the winter time? Does your GH have any heating sistem? Does it need one? It is after all a plastic one. :-k
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

We regularly have temperatures that are below zero for a high temp during the day and colder at night. Trying to heat any greenhouse here that isn't made of insulated glass and well sealed at all the cracks would not work. I move all my plants inside before November 1 and don't put them out until mid-April at the soonest.
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:We regularly have temperatures that are below zero for a high temp during the day and colder at night.
That would be 0 deg F (-17,8 deg C), right? Sorry, I have to ask since here we're talking in Celsius. We usualy don't get that low temps. I said usualy becouse sometimes it happens we get that low and then we say we have "Siberian winter" or "Siberian cold". :D

And that is prety hard work to move all that cacti inside the house. And it needs much space. :-k
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Well done, Daiv. It looks great!
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

That looks better day by day. :thumbleft: I love the way you are taking advantage of using rain water, and all the work that you have put in organizing it will certainly pay high dividends for you. I also try to collect as much as poss. when it rains, but at the moment I've run out as it hasn't rained for properly for a few months now apart from one thunderstorm, and that didn't last long either, so what ever I manage to collect soon goes through the summer. :cry: Are we going to get a picture of the bear sometime? :-s Nothing like living with nature eh?
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks again.

Tiggy, the rainwater is so much better for the plants it is the only way to go - if you get the rain! My brother saw the bear at night and got a very bad picture of it. Just enough to see what it was. I did not get to see it, but sure would like to. No real danger unless I scared it or something unlikely. They are very cautious of people.

@Maja - well sort of. I mean we can have daytime temperatures at -20 F (-28 C) for a week with little to no sunlight and colder at night. We had that just 2 or 3 winters ago.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I'm so pleased that you are not one of these who want to shoot every intrusive animal that might give a bit of a problem. We had several visits from a pole-cat (or some re-lated species, it's called a faina in italian) claimed at least 6 chickens in three visits. Everyone here kept saying "Did you kill it?" No way, we try to live alongside the wild-life, not wipe it out. After all it's us that are the intruders no? Oh I do hope you get a photo some time. Do you think that he is there due to a shortage of food in his normal territory or has he just taken a wrong turning some-where? Is there an organization you call if they become threatening to re-locate them? I'VE GOT IT!!! He's been watching you extending your GH and is now thinking "That looks like a good place to hibernate in!!!" :sleepy1: Bless him....
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;