Greenhouse Move and Expansion

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Ralf

Re: Greenhouse Move and Expansion

Post by Ralf »

Great job, Daiv! =D>
You'll see the new space will be filled soon with beautiful plants. :wink:
For which timeframe in the year you have planned to use it for your plants?
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Ralf, I may not have the question right, but here is my answer.

I keep the plants in the greenhouse from late April through late October. I always want to make it to November 1st, but it just seems to get too cold. I would like to move them out April 1st, but again - not warm enough. I will see if I can seal it up better this fall and keep it warmer. I have an indoor safe propane heater that I can use to warm it up on cold nights.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

You have a great setup with a lot of usable space. Your addition is a clever and uncomplicated design. I note there's not much of a pitch to the roof. How about its ability to shed snow? Or is the polycarb thick enough so you don't have to worry?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I almost said something about the slope on the roof in anticipation of the question. I find that the polycarb aside from being super strong is also very slippery and snow slides off easily. I'm pretty confident that any snow that we get here will not be enough to be a problem. It won't really accumulate over winter either way as the sun heats the interior and causes it to melt just enough to slide right off.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

daiv wrote:I almost said something about the slope on the roof in anticipation of the question. I find that the polycarb aside from being super strong is also very slippery and snow slides off easily. I'm pretty confident that any snow that we get here will not be enough to be a problem. It won't really accumulate over winter either way as the sun heats the interior and causes it to melt just enough to slide right off.
That is definitely the "cool" way to go! :mrgreen:
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Tony

Post by Tony »

NICE! 8)
So is it nessessary to leave all of the plastic on all summer or can you get away with leaving some of the sides/windows off.
It looks like it is totally sealed up. If I tried that everything inside would cook.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tony,
There is quite a bit of ventilation on the sides and under the eaves. So it is not sealed at all. Probably enough opening to be almost as much as leaving the door open. I've never had to take the sides off since I built it. The only trouble with scorching is on newly acquired plants - I have to put those under the benches for a while.

On a few hotter days I will prop the door open - like today - it is 91F - but if it is under 80F definitely leave it sealed up. This is the typical weather here.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ah Ok, I went back and looked at all the pics and now i see the pic of the eves and where you say you need it to be nice and drafty this time of year. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I like the expansion program!! Looks like your illness is now terminal :)

Now you only need to add some shelves up high, and a few under bench. Keep the center aisle clear for the big stuff! Excess space is very temporary.

Off to HBG for CSSA Show tomorrow. Got any requests?

Cheers ... GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Gene! I was so pleased with how well the expansion worked out, I could do the exact same thing on the other side if/when needed. So I know exactly what would be involved with adding another 50% more space. :D But not this year... one expansion is enough for now. 8)
GeneS wrote: Off to HBG for CSSA Show tomorrow. Got any requests?
Pictures!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Famous last words????
daiv wrote: But not this year... one expansion is enough for now. 8)
I am seriously talking myself into doing an expansion on the other side in the near future. I also was planning on adding a non-greenhouse "shed" on the back of the main part of the greenhouse. This would be three-sided with an opening to the greenhouse and connected with it on the North Side. I thought of using this space for storage of potting mix, and/or even to put a potting area in, but mostly to put in a small wood stove. This would enable me to heat the greenhouse in early spring/late fall more or less for free since I have acres of woods nearby with more than enough dead wood laying around than I could ever use.

Ahh! I'm really thinking about doing this! ](*,)
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Go for it!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

"Ahh! I'm really thinking about doing this! ](*,)" [/quote] . :lol: As if this is a surprise, the only problem I can see is that you will then have to fill it #-o Waiting for the next installment............
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well - no surprise to you all, but I AM doing it! The "East Wing" is being added - just put the pea rock down for the floor today. Will probably go get the lumber tomorrow. - and I'm holding Harriet responsible for it all. :P :lol:
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:Well - no surprise to you all, but I AM doing it! The "East Wing" is being added - just put the pea rock down for the floor today. Will probably go get the lumber tomorrow. - and I'm holding Harriet responsible for it all. :P :lol:
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

Sure, just blame it all on Harriet. :lol: (Just joking of course.)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"