Mug Shots -Wonder who you're talking to?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hi,
I am even slower than Andy, but I did finally talk someone I am training to take my mug shot. You see, I am really fond of cacti and holding them close to my heart! The image was taken after a hard day's worth of work and my hair is a bit long, but I promise to send a possibly improved image in the near future, next to my blooming semi-tropical giant Opuntia that freezes back every winter to the bottom pads.
Thank you all who were brave enough to participate in the mug shot photo galery. It is really nice seeing a face with a name, especially if it is someone who posts a lot of messages and images and helps me with my cactus ID.
Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey there he is! Good to see you my friend!

I can spot all those books on cacti behind you too!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Howdy Harald,

Neat picture of a man with a badge and his nightstick.
Wait, thats not a nightstick :lol:

Good to finally put your face with your posts. Keep up the good work with those smuggled cacti :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Good to 'see' you Harald and apparently hard at work too! How goes the workload?
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
hegar

Post by hegar »

Daiv, Bill, and perrycornish,
thanks for your nice responses.
Daiv, yes, I do have a good number of books dealing with cacti. However, that still does not make it easy to figure out what I am looking at once it arrives at my place. Unfortunately, there are not very many good books that cover Mexican cacti exclusively. I do purchase them whenever I find out that a new one is available in order to do a better job at identifying the plants.
Bill, you made me smile with your suggestion, that the columnar cactus ia a nightstick. Maybe if it were used as such we would have fewer people digging up cacti in Mexico to haul across the border.
Perrycornish, I am glad to report, that at this time the workload with smuggled cacti is not too large. I am still holding on to those plants that arrived just before I went on vacation and then found heavily infested with mealybugs, but have not yet made up my mind whether or not I am going to save them, because the mealybugs are still there, and have even multiplied once again as a result of me not having checked the plants daily for a week or so.
Harald
Ciriaca

Post by Ciriaca »

Hello All!

Yes, it has been a while so I figured I would upload a photo of me in my glory. Here I am in Teotihuacan, Mexico - about 2 hours outside of Mexico City during a much needed get away with my girlfriend. The Aztec Sun and Moon pyramids are just a stones throw away from where this picture was taken.

Cacti everywhere!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great picture! A friend at work was just down in Mexico a couple weeks ago closer to Cancun. -He isn't big on cacti, but he did explore around the pyramids and such. He really had a great time once he got out of the tourist areas. He said on the trip back he was talking about all the things he saw with another Southern California guy who was also vacationing there. He was dumfounded to learn the guy spent the week at the hotel swimming pool and watching football on TV.

To each his own, I guess...

For me -Cacti!
Ciriaca

Post by Ciriaca »

Thanks Daiv!

I could not imagine a holiday where we sat inside a hotel room watching football and swimming in the pool. My girlfriend would never alow it anyway. We would much rather bum the beach with a few shots of tequila chased back with few beers, enduring a sunburn! ;-)

The Aztec Pyramids of Teotihuacan were spectacular! I do know that the Sun Pyramid is the third largest in the world with a couple hundred steps with a sharp inclination to test the cardio... Not for the faint of heart to make it to the top! We climbed both Sun and Moon, taking a break in between the two to enjoy lunch in a restaurant built directly inside of a cave: "La Gruta". A must see. There was an Agave nearly twice my height just outside the reataurant entrance and I am 6'1"! Food was fresh and we were even serenaded by a Mariachi trio.

Hard to avoid tourists there let alone the aggressive vendors, but the bus ride from Mexico City was an adventure in itself. So much to see.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

8-[ Bump :happy3: Time for some new faces
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

I've missed this one...

http://www.cactusi.com/cactus.php?name= ... e&pid=1755

Cheers,

Eduart
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Some of those pictures aren't working anymore. :?

Time to update! You can see more of my mug in the Baja Gallery too.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

What the heck, long as this got bumped and all...:)

Bruce
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Bruce, you teaching that little one all about cactus?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Absolutely! Today I showed her big spines and little spines and told her it’s always the cactus next to the one you’re reaching for that sticks ya. :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ha! That is so true! And don't forget the really little spines -glochids. If you have any opuntia that is.