black spots

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cactustom

black spots

Post by cactustom »

I am new to the world of cacti. I have 150 or so that I got from the local greenhouses over the last 4 or 5 years. Most have been potted up a couple of times and seem to do well dispite the fact that I just use potting soil.One of the collum type has black spots on it. They have not spread and if I recall they have been there since I got the thing.I have a greenhouse that is not heated so all the plants come in for the winter then back out in the spring.So far I've only killed a few probably due to over watering.Can anyone spare a few seeds cause if you can I'll try.Anyway whats with the black spots? cactustom
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Is there anyway you can post a picture or link to one. It would help to see the problem your referring to.

Bill
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Black spots can be the result of any number of things that damage the tissue, such as being munched on by bugs/snails, over-watering damage, handling damage, fungus, sunburn, etc.

If the spots were there since you got it and if you are not getting more of them, you probably don't have to worry. Let us know if you can give more info or pictures and we might be able to pin down the cause.

Daiv