New bed finally underway.

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
SnowFella

Re: New bed finally underway.

Post by SnowFella »

majcka wrote:
SnowFella wrote:The "infamous" aussie T. scopulicola hybrid.
Why is that?
It's just so common down here that just about every time one comes up for ID it's bound to be from this grower. No one really knows what's in it's heritage but the general consent is that it's a hybrid.

@Tony: Neoraimondia herzogiana could well be it mate. If it is then I have another potential giant on my hands :lol:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Have just browsed through your post, and must say it looks great. =D> Hope the plants adapt well to their new surroundings. Hard work but very rewarding don't you think?

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Indeed, it's well worth the effort! Can't wait till next spring to see what will survive and what I can get to flower.
It's all about to get a watering too as there's another of our regular afternoon thunderstorms blowing in right now.

Some more detail shots of other plants.
M. mazatlanensis

M. vetula gracilis monstrose

A. ornatum

P. uebelmannia

Bit of a mix

Even the Echinopsis I cooked in the sun is making a comeback from both top and bottom
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I've been working on my outside beds and can't wait until spring when I can finish putting in my cactus that I have been holding in my greenhouse. Like what you have done. :)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Ditto! The work on my rockery area came to a standstill for the winter, it's far too cold here now to be outside working. :pale: Can't wait for March though.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Just a few growth pics from both new and old bed.

M. mystax is starting to turn into a monster, how large do these things grow?

It's currently outdoing my E. terscheckii is pure girth.

Unknown Lobivia seems to be liking it, hard to see but there's atleast 10 new heads forming.

C. peruvians. 3 new pups started this spring, now they are a good foot tall. Might have to do something about those mushrooms though :lol:

E. pachanoi is not quite keeping up

E. lageniformis starting it's first pups finally
majcka

Post by majcka »

SnowFella wrote: Might have to do something about those mushrooms though.
Don't try to eat them! [-(
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Well, autumn is well on the way down here and I've just removed that temporary shading. Should really of done it earlier but it doesn't seem to have hurt the plants to have stayed in place.
As expected I found some casualties, 3 plants that didn't survive the transition have been removed and even though it isn't the season for it I've replaced them with 3 new small ones. Still waiting with planting in the larger Fero herrerae untill early spring as I'm having some doubts about the beds drainage, the soil seem to hold way to much moisture for my liking so I'm guessing I don't have enough grit/pebbles/whatever in the mix. :?

Also finding one downside with where I put the bed in general, all was sweet during summer but now that the sun is standing lower in the sky parts of the bed stays permanently shaded by the fence next to it. So some plants won't see direct sunlight now for months ](*,)

As soon as the "new" camera lens turns up, got my fingers crossed for tomorrow, I'll take some updated shots of the plants.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

"New" lens showed up this morning so I naturally had to test it out. A little on the soft side unfortunately but can't really complain for $50 I guess.
So here's some updated growth photos from some of the plants, missed taking one of a "mystery" Fero but will add that one later.

Unknown Echinopsis/Trichocereus with new pup.

Philosocereus with new hairy pup.

E. lageniformis/T. brigesii with pups

Lots of new pups on this Echinopsis

New growth on this Echinopsis/Lobivia

F. glaucens with some new ribs forming

M. mystax in the old bed keeps on growing, growth above the longer spines is this seasons.

M. compressa starting to form a nice clump.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Looking very good considering all your record heat you had. :)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Yup, most made it through without asmuch as a scatch. Don't think I would of been as lucky if I hadn't put up some shading at the onset of the real heat, remains to be seen how they will handle next summer....if they survive winter that is :lol:

Here's that mystery Fero, plump enough that it looks like it could explode! About 6 inches in diameter now.

Nice new growth at the apex.

Had it up in the ID section around 2 years ago and Darryl suggested schwarzii or alamosanus but could really be anything. :-k
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice plants!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

Mystery Fero looks like F. pottsii.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Looks like whatever drainage I managed to get in this bed is in for a testing, if predictions are right I'm to look forwards to up to 100mm's of rain over the coming days. Cold and damp conditions could really weed out the hardy plants among what I planted out.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

First flowers for the season are starting to appear in the outdoor beds, for now I can't really see any casualties of the winter...one that I thought dead has even come back to life somehow! :shock: Still way's to go before the "winter" really is over though so anything can happen still.

M. mystax claims the "first inground flower for the year" price.

M. compressa isn't far behind!