Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Brontosaurus

Re: Good places to get Cactus

Post by Brontosaurus »

Has anyone got cacti through Waterwise Botanicals (https://www.waterwisebotanicals.com/)? I would be interested to hear about your experience with them.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

There are many succulent nurseries located in Southern California. but there are only a few retail outlets other than the big box stores. I remember buying succulents at many specialty succulent stores and there are only a few left. I began to buy plants on eBay because it saves time and effort. I really do not like to drive hundreds of miles in order to buy plants and would rather buy them online. I visit nurseries and many of them will not sell specimen plants and would rather buy what is available.
bestazy

Post by bestazy »

Hi all ! I'm new here.
Want to add the Huntington Botanical Gardens ISI list.

They can be pricey at times but it's for a very good cause and the plants they offer are unique and very rarely offered by big box stores. Everything they sell is vigorous, relative to its genus, and has been documented thoroughly for location of collection or nursery/collector of origination.

Some of my most prized agave and cacti species are from their lists.
jorden2003

Post by jorden2003 »

Miles 2 go is a good source for quality plants
Torica

Re:

Post by Torica »

M.mestre wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:13 pm hi

ortega -cactus in spain has really healthy plans ,

cheap and wellcare

http://www.infonegocio.com/ortegacactus/canada/cactaceae.html

My friend had such a cactus! I have seen large Cacti and other large houseplants on ebay, going for decent money, try that but state collection only.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

I must say few good words about Cactuslandia http://cactuslandia.eshop-zdarma.cz/index.php
This is a nice place for online purchase for the European buyers. Shop is based in Slovakia. I have received my plants in 3 days only, they are small but the price is about 1EUR up to 4EUR for some rare plants.
Here is my first purchase
IMG_9804.jpg
IMG_9804.jpg (125.07 KiB) Viewed 22321 times
Yamyoo

Post by Yamyoo »

C And D wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:13 am
Check out our website, which is mostly lists of sales plants and some photos.
We are located in Costa Mesa, California
Visitors are welcome by appointment.
Browsed your website but you only sell not outside the US.
Arthur
-SE Asia, Philippines - Tropical
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Due to CITES regulations it is difficult for any cactus plants to legally cross borders Yamyoo. The only place they freely cross borders is within the EU, which being a common market is classed as a single country for CITES regulations, but try and get plants into or out of the EU legally and you will come up against a brick wall. If you can find somebody like Uhlig's that is CITES Registered and can export, the CITES paperwork required will usually cost more than the plants.

http://www.uhlig-kakteen.com/presse1e.html

For instance if you need both a phytosanitary certificate and CITES document it could cost you €30 (= $34.93, £26.44p) plus the cost of the plants and postage, plus you may also need an import licence from your own country for some species.

https://www.uhlig-kakteen.de/en/service ... g-returns/

Whilst many amateurs will take the risk of sending plants through the post without the proper documentation and hoping they will get through, commercial cactus nurseries cannot afford to take that risk since the authorities may come down heavily on them. All in all, providing legal documentation causes too many problems for most cactus nurseries to bother sending plants out of the country.

Seed is about the only really legal way cactus species cross borders for amateurs these days.
Yamyoo

Post by Yamyoo »

DaveW wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm Seed is about the only really legal way cactus species cross borders for amateurs these days.
Right thanks, DaveW. From their website I didn't see live plants for sale or maybe and I didn't mentioned I only browse their seeds list.

The seeds I purchased from the Cactusstore is on their way in the next week or two. I came across from this post about worldwondersgardens and trying to make a purchase from them after I receive the current mail. Their supplies are currently low but it'll do. I got my eyes on some other plants I'm interested with. I will set a limit of amount on every order so that IF something bad will happen it wont cost and make me feel bad. Hahaha

Again, thank you for your response DaveW.
Arthur
-SE Asia, Philippines - Tropical
Madalyneb

Post by Madalyneb »

Hey! Anyone know when Mesa Garden will start selling plants again? I recently bought some seeds from them and have had excellent germination, but I'd love to buy a few plants from their list as well. Just wanted to see if anyone here is in the know...
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Madalyneb wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:35 am Hey! Anyone know when Mesa Garden will start selling plants again? I recently bought some seeds from them and have had excellent germination, but I'd love to buy a few plants from their list as well. Just wanted to see if anyone here is in the know...
Steven and Linda Brack retired last year, and the new owners have this to say:

"Unfortunately we will not be putting out a cactus plant list for 2018 due to upgrades. We are updating plant inventory in the new Mesa Garden database and we have to get our inventory under control before we proceed with shipping cacti. We are sorry for this inconvenience but hopefully this upgrade will make buying plants a much better experience for everyone!!!"

While I did enjoy doing some business with the Bracks, the MG website has always been awfully clunky and "old school". Let's see what the new owners do with the site -- hopefully we'll have something nice to look forward to next year, and it'll be good to have MG selling plants again.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Derrils

Post by Derrils »

Some of my attempts to coax cuttings to root haven't been successful. In this case, I'm working with very small growing tips (approx. 1.5") that I salvaged from a couple of Harrisia jusbertii cuttings that were going downhill. I found this advice online:
Where does one buy coarse grit? I had no luck at Home Depot Garden Center. If I can't find coarse grit, is there something similar that will serve the same purpose?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You could try cat litter or something similar. Be careful of chicken grit however unless it is flint or similar as a lot is crushed shell and therefore alkaline and most S. American cacti do not like alkalinity. If you look up Bonsai supplies on EBAY or even grit you may find a source. As with all heavy potting materials though shipping can be expensive on small amounts.

Some of the Bonsai type substances are OK for cacti but many are expensive, whereas cat litter is sold at most pet shops or supermarkets, or the similar products sold for the motor trade to soak up oil are suitable. However make sure you get the correct type since not all cat litters or oil absorbents are made from the same materials and are suitable for potting soils.

This Bonsai site (4 pages) is a good source of information on the right types available around the world and is regularly updated when they change the packing designs.

http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Do you allow your cuttings to dry off and callus before rooting? If you plant them as soon as cut they may rot. Unlike "normal plants" cacti can stand around unpotted for quite a time before dehydrating too much, but may rot if planted too quickly with raw cut surfaces.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You could also use perlite, which the garden center most likely has.
Spence :mrgreen:
rdonella

Post by rdonella »

I usually go to Dream Garden in L.A. because they have some wonderful exotic cactus. I also bought some succulent arrangements at https://orchidrepublic.com. Their succulents are nicely potted, and they even have house plants aside from orchids.