Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Re: Good places to get Cactus

Post by TimN »

So, Bartab, where did you get these plants? They don't look like Plantaseca. They look nice, though.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Gilbert10r

Post by Gilbert10r »

Seems like no one has been on this forum for a little while but it's worth a shot.

Hi everyone I'm new to this whole cactus thing. I've always been interested but never had any. Now that I have my own house I've done enough research to at least keep my cacti alive.

I'm in San Bernadino county in the high desert area. Despite it being a desert I cant seem to find any local places that sell strictly cacti other than big box stores. Does anyone know where I might be able to go, where they actually know what they're selling? Or a website perhaps where I can order healthy plants. I'm trying to get a couple of San pedro cacti.

Thanks in advance.
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

My suggestions line up with suggestions already made in this thread!
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Here's one I recently found while searching for Utah natives (as an alternative to legal wild collecting from the desert) and other cold hardy species.
Called them today to discuss an order. Shipping starts in 2 weeks. Only an hour away but with COVID19...shipping still rules ...even for locals.

https://www.intermountaincactus.com/

this link includes the price price list.

https://www.intermountaincactus.com/2018-price-list
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

I've had good luck with Arid Lands, especially for Euphorbia.
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith

Post by keith »

Mesa gardens is selling plants again I checked out the site last night and allot of sold out items. It looks like they have 100's of Lithops for sale .

last order I made the Mesembs were in good shape and the cactus no bueno. But the prices are much lower than Ebay and I suspect resellers wiped out the Copiapoas right away IDK ? I see Miles2go has placed limits on the cactus he sells. Too funny I should start selling on Ebay :D
bartab

Post by bartab »

Received my shipping notice from Mesa already. Great news. I have been very happy with the cactus I have received from there in the past.
samhain

Post by samhain »

Gilbert10r wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 am Seems like no one has been on this forum for a little while but it's worth a shot.

Hi everyone I'm new to this whole cactus thing. I've always been interested but never had any. Now that I have my own house I've done enough research to at least keep my cacti alive.

I'm in San Bernadino county in the high desert area. Despite it being a desert I cant seem to find any local places that sell strictly cacti other than big box stores. Does anyone know where I might be able to go, where they actually know what they're selling? Or a website perhaps where I can order healthy plants. I'm trying to get a couple of San pedro cacti.

Thanks in advance.
Cactus mart in morongo
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
CactiJim

Post by CactiJim »

Gilbert10r wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 am Seems like no one has been on this forum for a little while but it's worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.
What’s up, bro! Greeting from Rancho! Looks like we pretty close by. I don’t know if any that close to us but there is a nursery in Fallbrook, CA, that sells amazing cacti and succulents. From where we are, I’d say about an hour away, south, off the 15 freeway.
-Jimmy, Phoenix, AZ
TimN

Post by TimN »

Miles2go has their new plant list online @ miles2go.com.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
keith

Post by keith »

Mesa gardens has Conophytum plants for sale for 1/10 the price of Ebay. I bought a few unfortunately only domestic shipping and many are sold out already.

http://www.cactusspecialties.com/ This place seems to be gone ? I have bought conophytums from them in the past they always send extra plants.

What happened anyone know ?
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

keith wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:32 am Mesa gardens has Conophytum plants for sale for 1/10 the price of Ebay. I bought a few unfortunately only domestic shipping and many are sold out already.

http://www.cactusspecialties.com/ This place seems to be gone ? I have bought conophytums from them in the past they always send extra plants.

What happened anyone know ?
I wondered the same thing, looked them up this year and website was gone, hope they’re ok.
I really hope MG conos are of a decent size. Some plants I’ve gotten from them in the past are generous for price meanwhile others looked like well —— microscopic or v desiccated
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Pushrestart wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 am I really hope MG conos are of a decent size. Some plants I’ve gotten from them in the past are generous for price meanwhile others looked like well —— microscopic or v desiccated
Actually, that might be a good thing. They are tiny plants in habitat. It is not easy to always grow plants in culture as compact as they are in habitat. The smaller the plants, the more skillfull the grower and the healthier the plants (depending on the species).
keith

Post by keith »

Some plants I’ve gotten from them in the past are generous for price meanwhile others looked like well —— microscopic or v desiccated"

Its their growing style they don't push the plants or didn't I don't know what they do now? There is a interview with Steven Brack and they talk about that . Most cactus growers are frantic and Mesa is calm . Strategy calm the person giving the interview was questioning that in IDK disbelief.

its on Youtube somewhere and I linked to it here also. I think the nursery is under a airport ? Loud random noise during interview.
mauicacti

Post by mauicacti »

Miles2go. I've purchased 12-15 cacti and succulents from Miles Anderson and I have to say that the quality is outstanding! The plants are absolutely perfect and of really good size. Honestly, I felt like I was robbing the guy, but I know they packed the box. Fill out the form, email it, charge a card on file and they are in Hawaii in just a few days... too easy! Miles is also a pleasure to speak to on the phone, really helpful and pleasant.