Good places to get Cactus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
bartab

Re: Good places to get Cactus

Post by bartab »

Thank you for your ideas.
You might like Planet Desert in Northern California.

https://planetdesert.com
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Noticed this on BCSS Forum site only for those in UK. Seem to be small seedling cacti for £1 each plus postage. I know nothing else about the seller or the plants though, so it is not a recommendation:-

https://cactuscorner.co.uk/plants-for-sale/
Tedi

Post by Tedi »

Hello all, I am from Thailand. Need phytosanitary certificate when buying plants and importing plants from aborad. Could you advise which sellers can provide such certificate. I have been buying echinopsis on ebay and from time to time the shipments were stop. thanks in advance.
Steve Johnson

A great place in Los Angeles

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sunset Nursery has been a fixture of L.A.'s Silver Lake district for many years. Until recently, it wasn't the best place to buy cacti, but my, how things have changed! The owners did a marvelous job of turning the better part of their space over to this:

Quite a diverse selection, the plants are very well grown, and prices are reasonable. The only complaint (although it's a minor one) -- no plant tags. Sunset Nursery is located at 4368 West Sunset Boulevard (on the northwest corner of Sunset and Fountain), phone number 323-661-1642, open 7 days a week. For you SoCal enthusiasts out there, this may be L.A.'s best-kept secret. Let's do something about that!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
bartab

Post by bartab »

Hmmm. I do think I would like the lower right specimen in the 2nd pic, which is 2nd from the lower left in the 3rd pic. I should be in LA next month. I’ll go by. My son is moving to Santa Monica for first job out of college.
keith

Post by keith »

I usually go North from LA and green Thumb nursery had some nice cactus last time I was there a few weeks ago. Average expensive price they get for cactus these days . Lots of succulents also. I don't know who grows these rebutias for green thumb they are pretty in flower. Also a nice selection of mesembs. You have to get there soon after they get a delivery because they overwater.

I mostly do mail order these days but do like to see cactus at nurseries especially if they are different than big box cactus.
Attachments
green thumb
green thumb
Resized_20190629_120606.jpeg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 18232 times
keith

Post by keith »

Some succulents at Green Thumb in Ventura CA.
Attachments
lithops
lithops
lithops.jpeg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 18232 times
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Desert Creations on Parthenia in Northridge Ca. If you want exotics, they have them. I walked around for 40 minutes in awe and drooling. I did buy a Calderana F Cristata finally. They had it tagged as a Copiapoa Marginata Crest. They have some very old and rare plants there.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
BennieAnTheJets

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

Tedi wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 am Hello all, I am from Thailand. Need phytosanitary certificate when buying plants and importing plants from aborad. Could you advise which sellers can provide such certificate. I have been buying echinopsis on ebay and from time to time the shipments were stop. thanks in advance.

Tedi, have you seen dubenkaktus (a Czech seller on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dubenkaktus)? - I got very nice plants from them - see my Tethrocactus variations thread in the "General" tab. They specialize on Tethrocactus. They do provide the certificates, no problem, just need to pay for it.

Also Giromagi in Italy (https://www.giromagi.com) provides the certificates, again for a fee. I have ordered from them but not received the plants yet. They look nice in photos and the seller has good reviews. Huge selection of plants also there! Be aware that they seem to have an algorithm on their web page that adds 37.- Euro in shipping no matter what you order and they may send you another shipping bill after you paid for the order and they had a chance to review your order, quite a bit more in my experience but not unreasonable. Just may want to know that your check-out price may not be the final price for the order, and it may be best to order a few plants at once for the same 37.- Euro in shipping - but that goes for the certificate, too - certificate price is fixed whether you order one plant or twenty, so better order all your wish-list plants together, not one at a time.

Not sure if either of those ship to Thailand but I am sure you could find out by writing to them if in doubt. I used the Czech translator online to communicate with Tomas Duben at dubenkaktus - sent the message in English and translated Czech and it worked great. I used two different translators: one English to Czech and then one Czech to English (back again) to see how it may come across - some of it was funny or incomplete and changing a word or two in the original English and trying the whole thing again was helpful to send the best message I could, with the meaning I intended. It can be a bit tricky with those automatic translators. :wink:

Also, at the beginning of this thread a nursery in South Africa is mentioned that people call "amazing" and they are called Sheilam nursery in South Africa. Someone said, yes, they provide the certificate also.

I don't know any USA nurseries that provide the certificate because I don't need it from here, but there may be a few - maybe others can chime in to point them out. You could always write to one you are interested in and see if they can do it. Some do say up front that they can't.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! :D
bartab

Post by bartab »

Went to Desert Creations up off of 405 in LA today. Fantastic place. Great selection and nice looking plants. Anybody would be able to find something different that they would like. I picked up a really nice Turbinicarpus hoferi, Thelocactus bicolor v parrass, and a really nice Copiapoa laui, along with a Mammillaria solisoides.
Last edited by bartab on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BennieAnTheJets

bartab wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 am Went to Desert Creations today up off of 405 in LA today. Fantastic place. Great selection and nice looking plants. Anybody would be able to find something different that they would like. I picked up a really nice Turbinicarpus hoferi, Thelocactus bicolor v parrass, and a really nice Copiapoa laui, along with a Mammillaria solidoides.
Pictures please! :lol:
BennieAnTheJets

After a big shopping spree in the fall of 2019 I have discovered and explored many sellers and these two stood out as go-to places for me in the future if I ever want to buy more plants in the USA:

1) teedeecacti in CA, Denise and Tony, shipping in the pot with superb packing, fast draining potting mix, nice labels - some hard to find cacti and succulents, outstanding specimen, very fair shipping prices - they go the extra mile and post pictures of each plant online (Etsy and ebay) and you get the plant you pick on Etsy or win on ebay, not just a similar one. I heard they have an online shop in the spring but have not been able to confirm that. Bought from them on Etsy and ebay - ebay auctions can drive prices up a bit high and be disappointing if you don't win, but you know that. ;) Disclosure: they gave me a few plants at the end of the season since I had purchased so many, but that did not change my opinion of them. I gave them 5 stars before that in online reviews.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/teedeecacti or https://www.ebay.com/usr/teedeecacti?_t ... 1543.l2754

2) miles2go.com in AZ, Miles Anderson, got his name off this thread - Thank you, Bill in SC! - got bare roots cacti with excellent and free (!) shipping, outstanding specimen, with labels - he has a printed catalogue and an online list with a large selection - he has store hours when you can call and I called my order in on a Monday afternoon - he picked up the phone on the first ring - very nice man - received cacti that week from AZ to VA.

https://www.miles2go.com/

CactusLimon and kyles_plants on ebay, both from CA, may be worth checking out as well. Got some outstanding plants from Suzanne at CactusLimon, and Kyle at kyles_plants was very kind to find me a female Euphorbia obesa upon special request.

https://www.cactuslimon.net/ or https://www.etsy.com/shop/CactusLimon

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kyles_plants/

Keep in mind that I am not a cactus expert - my opinions are purely based on hobbyist experiences and outlook. Just having fun. 8)
bartab

Post by bartab »

Copiapoa lauii
Copiapoa lauii
40717FCA-17E1-423F-9872-5938ECE2B829.jpeg (236.35 KiB) Viewed 14586 times
bartab

Post by bartab »

T. Hoferi
T. Hoferi
1D69A4F0-A7FB-4CF3-92A1-B691ECC0C567.jpeg (219.23 KiB) Viewed 14585 times