Hoteidoc's 2012 Outdoor Wrap-up

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
hoteidoc

Hoteidoc's 2012 Outdoor Wrap-up

Post by hoteidoc »

Know it's late in the 2012 "Thread Season", but didn't want to hijack Fanaticactus's (cacti?) Vermont (Desert of Northeast) thread. :wink: Like most of us, definitely overplanted, but don't know it I'll be alive in 5 yrs. (nothing ominous, just live one day at a time, & grateful for each!) or what will survive 5yrs, but here's what 2 yrs of CH efforts has generated. And hopefully 2013 will be a banner year -- with homegrown seedling for this Jan & maybe some fast growers that are going into propagator in next couple of weeks :D
O-erinacea-ursina_091612_0579.JPG
O-erinacea-ursina_091612_0579.JPG (97.33 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
This adjacent series is wrapped around a large blue spruce with yews @ corners; L-R: O. aurea (Coomb's Winter Glow), polyacantha (Citrus Punch), polyacantha (Toadstool Pk., Neb)
This adjacent series is wrapped around a large blue spruce with yews @ corners; L-R: O. aurea (Coomb's Winter Glow), polyacantha (Citrus Punch), polyacantha (Toadstool Pk., Neb)
IMG_0581.JPG (114.28 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
O. polyacantha , O. fragilis x polyac, various O. fragilis cv's
O. polyacantha , O. fragilis x polyac, various O. fragilis cv's
IMG_0582.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
O. fragilis (L corner) & O."Dark Knight"
O. fragilis (L corner) & O."Dark Knight"
IMG_0584.JPG (118.21 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
O. santa-rita's
O. santa-rita's
IMG_0585.JPG (108.18 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
E. triglochid., O.(noid), E. coccineus
E. triglochid., O.(noid), E. coccineus
IMG_0599.JPG (104.38 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
O. noid, Echinocereus coccineus, reichenbachii
O. noid, Echinocereus coccineus, reichenbachii
IMG_0600.JPG (107.68 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
O. humifusa, Echinocer. fendleri, Semper's, Sedum
O. humifusa, Echinocer. fendleri, Semper's, Sedum
IMG_0602.JPG (103.83 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
South side of house, Potted:  Austroceph. dybow., Sanguaro, O. linguiform., San Pedro, Fero. wisliz planted 2 wks ago.
South side of house, Potted: Austroceph. dybow., Sanguaro, O. linguiform., San Pedro, Fero. wisliz planted 2 wks ago.
IMG_0609.JPG (66.11 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
New 20'x15' CH bed cornered with Y. filamentosa & Agave parryi, neomex., havardiana, & utahensis on sides
New 20'x15' CH bed cornered with Y. filamentosa & Agave parryi, neomex., havardiana, & utahensis on sides
IMG_0589.JPG (121.82 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG (106.8 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG (114.53 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
This time we're waiting for the wet & gray! Also with be covered with oversized pots. Since I'll have time on my hands the Winter, IF we get a stretch of sun, pots will come off 8)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
majcka

Re: Hoteidoc's 2012 Outdoor Wrap-up

Post by majcka »

Nice. Peter. Looks interesting sights.Image

But I can't help myself not to mention that direction of decorating things is pretty strange.
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG (121.82 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

I am of construction section, but never manage to put a pile of sand in such direction.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Maja - I've never figured out why download comes out that way -- when it didn't start that way. Nor how to correct! :roll: Oh well - we've had some upsidedown cacti posted!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
majcka

Post by majcka »

hoteidoc wrote:Maja - I've never figured out why download comes out that way -- when it didn't start that way. Nor how to correct! :roll: Oh well - we've had some upsidedown cacti posted!
Some tools save changes of rotation and some dont. It's easy.

Don't mind correcting it. If one want to see what is to see.... If one doesn't want to see it, it doesn't matter how the pic is roteted. So it is just like my English. If you want to understand what I want to tell you, it doesn't matter if the spelling is wrong. If you still don't understand, you ask. If not... nothing matters.

Have a nice day. And spend your free time to be with your cacti and stuff. Don't bother to try rotate that picture. I can stand on my head if necesary. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

You've got a fine start there, Peter. Perhaps even a bit more than I had envisioned from your verbal descriptions. And please don't worry about "hijacking" anything of mine. The more I thought of it, the more I'm happy with just owning the "Desert of Northern New England". :mrgreen: This is out of deference to you and all others in the Northeast, as I know Andy and a few others in CT also have CH gardens, and I know their's are more varied and well-established than my little plot. So you guys can bargain for rights to appropriate titles! :D
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Your "Northern New England..." title sounds even more impressive, Dave! Now if we can wring a measly 1/4 - 1/2" of rain out of this "daylong" rain going thru today. We're back to "gray" H20 from well & have only had sl. over 1 1/2" this September!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

At least you're not in today's Tornado Watch zone, as of right now, but pretty close.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well for a wrap-up, it looks like you are just getting started. The 20 x 15 bed will hold a lot of plants. That is about twice the size of a typical Southern California yard! :lol:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

You are going to have a nice garden!

The picture thing could be that you have rotated your pictures using a program like Windows Picture Viewer, that rotates what you see on the screen but does not actually save that information in the JPEG. So, when another program looks at the JPEG's header information (I think it is called "meta data" or something similar) it only sees the original orientation and puts the file right back to the way it started. I use PhotoShop or FireWorks to edit pictures, but I am sure there are other much less expensive programs (or even free ones) that will solve that problem. I miss the ability to rotate pictures we had with the older version of this forum, or maybe I just haven't found it's equivalent here...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

For what it's worth, I've found that Picasa is a highly satisfactory editing program--not sure of the current cost. I use Picasa 3, so that must be their recent version of it. It allows rotating as well as sharpness, color balance, cropping, straightening (nothing more disorienting than a sloping horizon), and many other special effects.