First attempt at naturalistic cactus garden...

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
mattcoondawg

First attempt at naturalistic cactus garden...

Post by mattcoondawg »

Here are a few shots of my start at cactus gardening. I wanted to utilize a dry rocky slope in my yard and create a naturalistic scene. They are arent visible now but I also have some tiny yuccas and sedum planted in the area. There is still alot space to work with for future aquisitions.

gemhunter178

Re: First attempt at naturalistic cactus garden...

Post by gemhunter178 »

Well, it's a start! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
mattcoondawg

Post by mattcoondawg »

haha. Well I got cuttings by asking my customers if they minded if I got a pad or two. Not wanting to be greedy I got a pad or two. But I imagine in a year or two it will look much fuller. Plus I will be adding sedum as well. Maybe I should actually go buy some lol.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Mattcoondawg - Where are you located, so us N'oreasters can suggest more Cold-Hardy's :?:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
mattcoondawg

Post by mattcoondawg »

Thanks please! I am in central KY zone 6b. So far I have the above that I think are two differant cultivars of humifusa. But I also have this cutting that is over 10inchs long and I am not sure what species it is.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi, so if it is natural is it really a garden? :-k :P

Anyway, I have the same thing happening with my outdoor plants. All of them are in a spot in a field where the soil is poor so that the grasses and other vegetation can't compete and choke them out.

You can see some pics in my outdoor thread here on the forum. I think it is a great idea and what's more is that it is very easy to take care of. There isn't much to do but look at them! :D
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mattcoondawg

Post by mattcoondawg »

:roll: lol. Well I would say anytime you plant more than one species on purpose in the same area its a garden. But yes you only need to weed those weeds that distract from the overall theme. Crabgrass in this case. I usually let the wild daisies bloom in the spring. I am thinking about sowing aome of my breadseed poppies around the area for next spring.