To water, or not to water?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Bill in SC

To water, or not to water?

Post by Bill in SC »

Our climate is pleasently weird. Our day temps in the fall reach mid 80s to occasionally 90. However, our night temps get down in the 50s and 40s. This is about perfect for human habitation. However, it creates indecision about watering cactus. This is especially amplified in the greenhouse. Day temperatures inside the GH are warm, while night temperatures get down to sometimes low 50s. I feel like my plants are not all completely dormant by any stretch of the imagination, though many are headed for dormancy. I hate to deprive my plants of water if they want/need it, but don't want to rot anything either. Naturally, being the tightwad I am, I don't want to run any heat in the GH until it is an absolute necessity. So the dilemma is: a) Should I cease water all together for the year? b) Should I water lightly instead of a deep soaking they normally get? c) Should I continue to water normally, and go ahead and heat the GH at night so the roots won't get cold? I must say that I really like our climate, but it makes fall cactus cultivation tricky. The greenhouse seems to make it even trickier.. I'm open to suggestions..
Bill in SC
iann

Post by iann »

Learning curve, Bill :) Some species are very sensitive to water with these chilly nights. I would suggest Astrophytums as one that can just decide to rot off even though it is 90F during the day. Others just carry on regardless, and not just the really hardy species, some of the no-frost Mammillarias don't seem to mind damp roots and cool nights. Others, like the very hardy Echinocereus and Escobarias, don't care whether their roots are wet or not, they take up water when they are warm and ignore it when they are cold. It can be quite strange to see a cactus sitting in wet soil and still all shrivelled up just because that's what they do in winter.

The only way to learn what a cactus can take is to kill one :evil:

I would suggest not watering any large plants again this year unless they have already been very dry for a while. Large pots take longer than you expect to become 100% dry and large plants have the reserves to go six months without water. In similar conditions here, but with cooler days, I may still water some of the smaller plants again.

Remember, they're cacti, they can go without water ;)
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Bill- what Ian said, plus a question about atmospheric humidity and how long your plants tend to stay moist after watering?

I completely cut off all water for the hardy ones who will be outside for the winter and let nature do whatever it does. My growing season is so blasted short here that for the more tender plants, it is a constant dance to try to extend their growing time but get them ready to rest. Fall and spring are the two times when I do not mass water the whole lot, but go by more individualized needs and tolerances.

Peterb
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well all my hardy's outside are officially on there own. My younger hardy cuttings and starts are now inside and having similar weather to yours Bill.
The ones inside are still seeing a little water which comes from a spray bottle-- this way there not being deprived.
No sense in soaking them and taking unnecessary chances.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
fred

Post by fred »

Bill I think you should still water them when they become very dry. And I think you should water thoroughly just like in summer when you do. Then no more until they are very dry again or it is cold.
clemons

Post by clemons »

Bill,,same problem here..i resolved to water alot lighter now an not till bone dry an then the ones ive watered to set in a warm room for a couple days befor putting them back in the cool room..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
iann

Post by iann »

Water less? Forecast is for a ground frost tonight, possibly not in my sheltered back garden, certainly not under glass, but pretty cold anyways :)

On the other hand, I moved all the Delospermas, Drosanthemums, and Oscularias out last night to get some rain!
--ian