My first Epiphyllum

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
perrycornish

My first Epiphyllum

Post by perrycornish »

It is a hybrid I think, named Young Nun, it has come with planting and growing instructions and says to use soiless compost. My normal mix would be John Innes No 2 (obviously not soiless) with one part grit or perlite to three parts JI. Would I be better to use a coir and grit mix?
I reckoned you would know, at least I'm sure Daiv will as I know his Epi's do well and I bet others of you grow them too :)
No photo as yet as I need to pot it this evening!
Thanks
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
hob

Post by hob »

does it have roots ....or is it a cutting ??

you might find this usefull

http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

It is a rooted cutting, Hob ( Well rooted too) I have looked at the growing tips but am wondering if our active growers of Epi's can advise if it is OK in soil or soiless compost with grit as the advice given all over the place is definitely contradictory and I would rather take advice from here, the likes of daiv et al :)
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Perry,
I don't always get it right (as in the case of my watering in full sun theory), but I must admit that I have great success with the epi cacti.

I think that the climate here makes it especially easy for me. However, I would highly recommend my soil mix on the "Growing Cacti" page.

Key ingredients: coarse orchid bark and osmocote.

Don't let the soil dry completely with these at least when they are growing, but don't soak them too much either.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thanks Daiv, I was more keen on the advice there ( Growing help) as I reckoned it came from you, but wanted to be sure so it's thanks to you and thanks to Hob :) It is amazing the different formulations considered to be 'the best' when you look on the web :wink:
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
fred

Post by fred »

Hi PC,
You can certainly use whatever mix you normally do as long as you include enough additives to make it very coarse and well draining. I use 1/3 of my favorite local brand of "potting soil", 1/3 orchid mix and 1/3 perlite. :P
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Thanks Fred :) It looks as though I will be going down your route as I cannot get Orchid Bark Cactus for love nor money here, well maybe money but the carriage charges from England are prohibitive :o
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

What is Orchid mix? Is that mostly redwood bark?
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Don't know about your end of the world Daiv, but here in the UK it is just a very free draining compost with very little bark. The good news is I have found a source of Orchid Bark compost online, mail order supplier on mainland UK, should have it by middle of the week :)
Perry

Eleanor Roosevelt
fred

Post by fred »

Orchid mix is some sort of bark (not sure what without checking), horticulture charcoal and some sort of ceramic nuggets for added coarseness.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting. That might work too, but I know for sure that the bark works great!