Dormancy in the Den

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Bruce

Dormancy in the Den

Post by Bruce »

As I've mentioned before, I grow under fluorescent lights in my (sunless) den. While I can easily control the amount of light and water I give them, I've got very little control over temperature. I'd expect winter temperatures to range from the mid-70s on a warm-ish afternoon to low-60s on a bitter night. And there really isn't any place else in the house where the temps are going to be much different. The garage is basically unheated which could result in nighttime temps in the single digits.

What can I do to convince the cacti that it's time to sleep? Gradually reduce the water to nil? Turn off the lights so that they just get room light? Sing 'em lullabies? Read 'em tech manuals? :dontknow:

Thanks~

Bruce
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

You could always run the AC and put the thermostat on 50 :lol:

I fear if you can't provide a temperature around 50 then your cacti will try to continue to grow. The temperature is needed for the dormancy.
I have a extra room with no heat vents in it that I overwinter mine in and if needed I even open a window a crack to ensure 45 to 50 degrees.

Oh, lullabies don't work :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
clemons

Post by clemons »

maybe plug up your vents with pillows or someting an crack a window..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

ihc6480 wrote:You could always run the AC and put the thermostat on 50 :lol:

I fear if you can't provide a temperature around 50 then your cacti will try to continue to grow.
So if they do continue to grow, how do I treat them? Reduced light and water?