Care for a grafted cactus

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
iann

Care for a grafted cactus

Post by iann »

I have been given a large Hibotan type Gymnocalycium on a Hylocereus stock. This is my first grafted plant (even Mammillaria luethyi, Cintia knizei, and Pediocactus simpsonii are on their own roots!) and obviously I want to give it the best treatment. I realise that both the stock and graft do not like the cold so they will be inside for the winter.

The stock has relatively few roots. Is this normal or just from the transplant? Does it need more water than my other plants (everything really, but Copiapoas, Lithops, Mammillarias, Turbinicarpus, you get the idea)? The graft has just started producing bright red offsets from nearly every areole and has a single bud which will probably abort.
--ian
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

During the growing season, I noticed mine liked more water than most stuff.. Over winter, it got the same no water treatment as the rest of my cactus...
BB in SC
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Iann,

In winter I just keep an eye on the graft stock. If I see noticeable shrivelling I'll give it a little water from below. Hylocereus is a jungle cactus so it can take/likes more water. I also have some stuff grafted on Stenocereus. Those get little water in winter.

Franj