Somebody brought me an Epy.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
hablu

Somebody brought me an Epy.

Post by hablu »

A colleage brought me this plant. It is very huge and in perfect health. She moved to a smaller house and don't have room anymore. I don't have room either, but you can always make place. isn't it!
I know very little of these plants. What do I best do for coming winter? Leave as it is and treat it like other cacti: dry and cold? Or give it more warmth and water? Please some suggestions? Harry
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I have a friend in Minnesota who has several of these and he just puts his in a dark root cellar that is about 40-45 degrees all winter. Doesn't give it any water either.

Each spring he pulls them out, hangs them under the eves and away they go!

Have a look:

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

I have found that epi's like things fairly mild during winter...about 45-50deg f and good light. Watering should take place, but only sparingly, bit like a desert cactus in the summer...let it dry out...no feeding. In the summer,give them a good dose of outdoor life. Mine sit in the sun with out a problem, but shade from the hottest part of the day is a must. water well; basically every time you get the hose out :D. Put them out in may/june and bring them in around september. This is how I treat mine and I haven't lost one yet. When I first got my xmas cactus...many years ago, I followed the books and gave it this, that and the other and it did nothing. Chucked it in a corner and it grew like mad and bloomed its head off.

p.s nice epi...congratulations on acquiring that one :cheers:
someone pass me the tweezers!
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Harry,
It will be compatable with your Christmas cactus. It will be beautiful when it blooms. Do you know what color or variety it is? :?:

Hi Daiv,
I have been hangin with the folks on the epiforums for awhile now. Originally went there to find old-fashioned Christmas cactus. I have decided the hybrid epis are very beautiful but I like the species best also. :wink:
hob

Post by hob »

harry if a bit should fall off that .........i'm just next door in england :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hablu

Post by hablu »

I'll be glad to make you a cutting next spring Hob. Send me your adress. Harry
hob

Post by hob »

hablu wrote:I'll be glad to make you a cutting next spring Hob. Send me your adress. Harry
harry i may keep you to that next spring :)
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Ofcourse. Harry
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hi Fred, you wrote:

"Hi Harry,
It will be compatable with your Christmas cactus. It will be beautiful when it blooms. Do you know what color or variety it is?"

Hi Fred, I see you everywhere nowadays. No ads here. No I don't know the color of this one; probably pinkish red. I found a dry flower underneath it with that color. I will post ofcourse some pics if I'm succesfull. greets. Harry