Panoramic view of scree gardens

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
majcka

Re: Panoramic view of scree gardens

Post by majcka »

Kurt wrote:Zone 7 but the winters have been very warm for the past 10+ years. During the 1980's and 90's winter temperatures were much colder - single digits every winter as low as -5F (briefly). We haven't gone into the single digits for at least the 10 yrs. Last winter our minimum low was only 17F -and that was brief. Besides low temperatures, moisture is also a real issue. I have several species of South American cacti that have been in my unheated/doorless greenhouse for almost 20 years. They have been frozen solid on several occasions but if I plant them outside, they're mush before Christmas and the temperature never got below the twenties. This is about all I can tell you about my experience. If I listed the plant as doing well outside then you'll probably be OK.
Wery warm winters....-5F (briefly). if my calculator does it right that would be about -20C right? I'm in zone 7 and we never (almost) get that cold. And I manage to kill the largest A.americana I had (I only got it last year inherited from someone who didn't want it no more) I left it in a shed. And Notocactus mammulosus does OK outside???? I'm afraid even to left it in my unheated GH. Do I complicate things too much????
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Kurt wrote:
majcka wrote:
Kurt wrote:Beautiful !! I live in Danville, Va. (about 2 hrs from Raleigh) and have been collecting winterhardy cacti for 30+ years. My outdoor gardens are a little unkept (got carried away) and I need to downsize. Here's my list but many sedums and related alpines have been lost due to excessive summer heat over the past few years.
Would you please be so kind to tell what zone that would be where you live?! I have quite some spicies of your list and am still decideing whether to leave them in the GH or move them into the house. Thank you.

Zone 7 but the winters have been very warm for the past 10+ years. During the 1980's and 90's winter temperatures were much colder - single digits every winter as low as -5F (briefly). We haven't gone into the single digits for at least the 10 yrs. Last winter our minimum low was only 17F -and that was brief. Besides low temperatures, moisture is also a real issue. I have several species of South American cacti that have been in my unheated/doorless greenhouse for almost 20 years. They have been frozen solid on several occasions but if I plant them outside, they're mush before Christmas and the temperature never got below the twenties. This is about all I can tell you about my experience. If I listed the plant as doing well outside then you'll probably be OK.
So in other words someone at zone 7 has had their low last year at a the same temp as the lowest low I have had in 10 years in Central AZ? strange how the weather is these days. We have a blast of cold air come in from Canada 2 years ago. It killed many plants here in AZ, mostly non-native but some were native...
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

You could send me an email to my school address since its public anyway and I could send you my home email from there.
School address is kkueng@mail.dps.k12.va.us
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Thank you for posting and giving the link. You have a wonderful rustic environment and a creative garden space. It is nice to see these species as very cold tolerant Bobby Z