Spring cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mark

Spring cactus

Post by Mark »

When should I bring in my rhipsalidopsis gaertneri, so that is could start forming buds? Could I put it in the closet all day or do I have to give it light?

Mark
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

rhipsalidopsis gaernteri (schlumbergia gaernteri) is a spring cacti and over here is called the easter cactus, flowering usually around March/April time; (it may be different where you are :) )

There is no need to put it in the closet, in fact I find that good light is best and buds should form whether it is outside or indoors; over here of course, its usually indoors due to the weather. The one thing, don't move it once it buds or they will drop off. At this time they are very sensitive to light and position changes.
someone pass me the tweezers!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here they are called easter cactus but wasn't sure what to put. So then in should leave it out until spring, or bring it in when it gets colder.

Mark
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

I am not sure of the minimum winter temps where you are but if it drops below 55 deg f at any time of the day, I would say bring it, it wont hurt it. As I said, give it good light from the start and dont move when in bud...enjoy your cacti, they are lovely. :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok will bring it in when it gets colder and give it good light. Thanks taliesin. Hope I get some buds.

Mark
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

when it flowers...post a pic and no worries; glad to be of help :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Mark,
I have a couple of those, but can't tell you how to handle it where you are as mine stay outside all year round. Sound like taliesin got you covered either way.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok thanks Daiv. Hope it flowers.

Mark