Raised Cactus Bed

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Raised Cactus Bed

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yeah I hear you there. I might need to add some soil to around some of my plants, and I might make a mix like that. What type of sand do you get? The silica #35?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

What about the course builders sand, would that work along with the Napa mix?
Peterthecactusguy

Silica #35 I think is the course builder sand, but I might have the number wrong lol One silica sand is very fine the other is courser... er I think so. ;)
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

I think thats what Im gonna use for my raised bed. Pea gravel, builders sand (the courser kind) and napa along with alittle native dirt. I want water to really run through so when heavy rains hit it will dry out very quickly.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:yeah I hear you there. I might need to add some soil to around some of my plants, and I might make a mix like that. What type of sand do you get? The silica #35?
The sand is call construction sand. Not playground, paver, or stucco, just construction sand. I first started using Lowes sand but it was too grey, now I get my sand from a seller of landscape rocks etc. It's much lighter with a bit more small pebbles. :)
Peterthecactusguy

cool, I have an idea of where I can get sand/gravel like that. I think silica sand is too heavy and small in particle size. It's been a long time since I worked at HD and when I worked there they had a course builder's sand, but if I remember correctly they had huge bags of it.. . (ya know like the ones they load onto your truck with a forklift.. ;))