Just a quick glance

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Joel143

Just a quick glance

Post by Joel143 »

I've had my greenhouse all summer but was empty. But started moving my cactus from their regular spot on my front porch to the greenhouse. Its partially full as I still have plenty to move in. Sorry it is not organized as of yet. I mainly want to get my cactus inside for winter then come spring I can organize, place benches and what not. Its a Rion greenhouse and its 8' x 12'.

As mentioned I still have plenty to move in still. I plan to make a raised bed for some of the hardier ones. Again sorry for the unorganization thus far.
Tiggy

Re: Just a quick glance

Post by Tiggy »

You have some really nice plants there, and they should nice and snug for the winter too as I see that you have a heater ready. Lovely greenhouse, I envy you. :mrgreen:

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice greenhouse and nice collection(...or part of it!)!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Thanks.....this summer I will have time to do what I really want to do and not rush. My collection cannot all fit inside....I still have a few larger ones on my porch that will remain there since I cant move them. The main thing is they will be protected during winter time. The ones on my porch I will continue to cover with plastic.
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

Lovely collection Joel. You'll soon have the greenhouse full.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Thanks for the comments. Actually Rob now with everything inside it is completely full. I barely have room to walk in. Yea its not organized but as I mentioned before the majority are inside. I have to tip toe between some to get to the back for inspecting, watering, etc. And then I still have hardier ones on my front porch still. See one person in my area that also grows a few cacti in their greenhouse but he has them in a raised bed inside the greenhouse. He has had it that way for years and just lets them do their thing. So I plan to make a raised bed outside for some and plan on making a raised bed inside the greenhouse along the back wall and the right wall.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It looks you favor larger plants or do you just move those in first?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Actually Daiv I wanted the larger ones towards the back just for the winter time....but yes....I do favor larger plants skipping the seedling stage. Some I will start small for example mamms and echinopsis. But cereus and fero's in particular I do lean towards a larger plant. The larger ones you see I will be placing them in an outdoor raised bed next year since I will be able to provide protection from the rain with their own roof top. And if it gets too cold I can cover them and place lighting for that necessary heat. The tall cereus you see has grown drastically and will not be able to fit in the greenhouse come next winter.

I will take a updated pic and post it so you can see how crammed it is now.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Where did you get the gravel for the floor? Bags or bulk?
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Cactushobbyman, the gravel I got from a local rock yard (what we call it) that has all kinds of different stone. So filled up my truck bed twice(half each time due to weight).
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Here's a recent pic of my greenhouse on how crammed it is. Again I know its not neat or organized. I just wanted to get them all in for the winter. After winter they will all come out....some will go into an outdoor raised bed and then the rest back in where I plan to also make a raised bed inside the greenhouse to one side and the remaining neatly on th opposite side.

The staghorn ferns winter inside as well.
Last edited by Joel143 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

What a nice collection you have there.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Thank you....I got the bug bad...haha
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Reminds me of that old saying... "A crowded greenhouse is a happy greenhouse."

(OK maybe I just made that up, but it should be a saying.)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti