Greenhouse insulation - part 2 - inside

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Ralf

Greenhouse insulation - part 2 - inside

Post by Ralf »

It was the time to finish the insulation for the coming winter. In the following I'll try to share it with you how I handle this.
Because of the construction and the used materials of the greenhouse and the location where I live is this necessary and recommended.

the sight before I've started
722.JPG
722.JPG (235.62 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
first of all I have to remove the hanging pots, trays and shelves
723.JPG
723.JPG (209.49 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
after that I put 2 cm (0.8 in) thick styrofoam into the walls/windows
it prevented radiation frost and helps to reduce the heating costs
724.JPG
724.JPG (225.2 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
then comes a additional layer of the same bubble wrap like outside
first at the south side
725.JPG
725.JPG (217.77 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
and at the east side
726.JPG
726.JPG (217.73 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
after that I have to remove the west side shelf and and put also styrofoam and bubble wrap on that side
727.JPG
727.JPG (222.78 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
728.JPG
728.JPG (210.84 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
729.JPG
729.JPG (211.74 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
now the first half is finished
for the bubble wrap I use the same special holders like outside
730.JPG
730.JPG (164.19 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
for the other part of the greenhouse I have to do the same steps
731.JPG
731.JPG (193.25 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
732.JPG
732.JPG (181.12 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
733.JPG
733.JPG (178.39 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
there is only one exception, the north wall gets a complete layer of styrofoam
because the light of this direction isn't necessary for the plants
all margins of the bubble wrap where they overlap will stick together with Scotch Tape
734.JPG
734.JPG (183.36 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
"Greenhouse insulation - part 1 - outside"
"Greenhouse insulation - part 3 - heating"
Last edited by Ralf on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Tiggy

Re: Greenhouse insulation - part 2 - inside

Post by Tiggy »

Very nice and neat job there Ralf. You certainly are well organized. Did you have help with the work? Your plants look beautiful. Well done! Look forward to the next installment. =D>

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I would be surprised if you had any casualties :D neat job!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks Susi and Arjen!

Susi, it was no help needed. Inside it's a "one person thing". :wink:
Arjen, you'll be surprised, sometimes I've some casualties. :(
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.

majcka

Post by majcka »

Ralf wrote: Susi, it was no help needed. Inside it's a "one person thing". :wink:
Obviously I don't have enough imagination. ](*,) You did this (inside thing) all alone with or without moveing cacti??????????
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ralf, - this series is fantastic. So well illustrated and organized. I suspect you will be sharing temperature figures in the final part 3?

I am very interested in how well the sun heats the greenhouse through the two layers of bubble wrap and the greenhouse wall. I imagine there is a certain amount of loss compared to the heating without insulation.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks, Daiv and sorry for my late response.

The sun don't heat up the greenhouse between November and February. The greenhouse is shaded by a neighbours building during this time.
So it plays any role how many insulation is installed.
The first step in February is, that I first remove the styrofoam. At this time the greenhouse gets more sun and it will heat up by the sun. Later in March or April first the bubble wrap inside and at last outside. All that depends on weather and temperatures outside.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, so essentially, your plants are dormant for the winter, right? You insulate and heat it and this saves you the trouble of moving them, but you would have the same results moving them into a cold basement room like I do with mine.

Does that sound right?
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

That's absolutely right, Daiv. I could them also moving into the house but I don't have enough space for all plants. Some of the more heat loving plants are in several windowsills. But all other plants in the greenhouse or in cold frame get a winter rest.
I'll wake them up earliest in February. Then only by spraying with ~104F hot water. In the past years it worked very well.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting! So there really is no need fro the greenhouse insulation to be transparent. For example, a person in a cold climate could, in fact, cover the greenhouse with wool blankets and then a waterproof tarp over that. (in theory) Since dormant plants can get by in darkness.

Of course, your partial removal in spring does allow some light in - so that is one advantage of transparent insulation.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Do you use any heating at all in there Ralf? And I am curious to know just how cold it gets during the winter.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Most greenhouses will get some sun even in the middle of winter. Mine gets a couple of hours even in December before the sun goes behind my house. Makes a huge difference. If the sun shines! Any solar heating also allows the humidity to drop with a little ventilation.
--ian
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Susi, the greenhouse is heated by a propane heater. That and all other stuff that depends on that I'll explain in part 3.
Ian, if I could placed the greenhouse on another location in my yard, I would do that. It gets almost non sun during the winter. If the sun is shining it gets only some sun radiation on the roof for a couple hours. That isn't enough to heat it up noticeable.

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Maybe that's a good thing though, constant cold and no direct sunlight during the cold months. I've noticed that even though I keep my plants outside and bone dry during winter I'm still getting etoliated growth as daytime temperatures can reach 20C and where I keep them stored they acctually get more direct sunlight than during summer. Summertime under the awning they get mainly filtered light through some clear roof panels but during winter with the lower standing sun they get hours of direct sunlight peeking in under the roof.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Ralf wrote:Ian, if I could placed the greenhouse on another location in my yard, I would do that. It gets almost non sun during the winter. If the sun is shining it gets only some sun radiation on the roof for a couple hours. That isn't enough to heat it up noticeable.
GH is not the problem. The house stands on the wrong position!!!!! :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook