potting Peniocerus greggii

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
edbartlett

potting Peniocerus greggii

Post by edbartlett »

I just aquired a 5" "Queen of The Night" and would like a little advice on how to pot it. I understand they are not easy to grow to the flowering stage but I'd like to do my best. I live in Tucson and wonder if I should leave it outside all winter (except for the few frosts) or bring it inside? :D
Thanks,
Arizonaed
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Ed-

I think Peniocereus greggii can grow year round outside in Tucson, but perhaps others who live there might correct me. If so, dig out a good size hole for it and fill it with gritty, gravelly soil with hardly any organic matter in it. P. greggii grows much better in the ground than in a pot. It likes partial shade and a "nurse plant" to grow up within, like a creosote bush or some other shrub.

If you keep it in a pot consider this: I have one that I grow almost entirely in crushed volcanic rock. There's hardly any soil in there at all. It's doing well so far after a few years and hasn't rotted.

Peterb
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Ive got 3 of these beauties in a pot, I intended to put them in the ground but then, you know, stuff happens and they are still in the pot. Im in Phoenix and they are fine all year outside, I know you are 5-10 degrees cooler there but they grow in the wild all through the lower desert areas so Id think they are fine where you are. Perhaps some protection on the coldest nights, similar to what a nurse plant would provide.

Here's my trick to keeping them in pots: no water. Just rain. I lost a few at first to rot so I tried this plan for awhile and the plants are doing really great since. I might mist them a little in June/July before rains come but thats about it. Strange, yes, but it has worked for me.
Mark

Post by Mark »

They should do ok in Tucson. They are found there in the desert. So they should have no problem in your area.

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Ed,
I agree with Peterb and Mark. You should have absolutely no problem growing Peniocereus greggii at your place. I have two plants in the ground here in El Paso and they are doing fine without any protection whatsoever! We are here at 4000 feet altitude and the temperatures will drop into the twenties and sometimes even between 10 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I had not even given any thought about placing the plants into a pot. By the way, do you know, that the bulbous root system can weigh up to 60 pounds? If you had a large plant like that you certainly would need a huge pot. Peterb is correct with his statement, that the plant does prefer to be a bit shaded by a companion plant. It is found in nature often in the middle of a creosote bush. The strap-like stems will blend in with the creosote and are protected from being whipped around by wind or broken by wildlife, cattle, etc..

Harald
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi all:
Arizonaed, I also agree with all, I guess you can have your Peniocereus outside in your location. I?m working right now in the propagation of P. greggii and I have been following the development of some plants in Wild and in a garden (potted and in the ground). In this part of Mexico we can have temperatures in winter so cold as 20F, and the plants are OK. It?s amazing to watch the growing that this cacti can have in a garden. My advice is don?t be to much concerned about a plant that grows in wild very near of your locality. Just give them some shade and they reward you in a few years with wonderfull night blooms.
Good luck.
mavaz
Last edited by mavaz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
edbartlett

Thanks

Post by edbartlett »

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to start it in a pot for this winter and plop it in the garden next year. The curator af plants at Tohono Chul Park ( a must see if you get down this way) warned me to protect the plant from rabbits and rodents. Anybody have any trouble with critters with their P. greggii?
Thank you,
Arizonaed

"What? Me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman (July 1955)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well I haven't had mine for very long maybe a 2-3 months the most. I got my from a friend in Tucson who rescued it for me from a rescue they had. :D

Mark