Contest 74 : Dicussion and related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
Aiko

Re: Contest 74 : Dicussion and related Pictures

Post by Aiko »

An indication of much a 2011 sown seedling (about 1 centimeter in diameter) of Lophophora williamsii can shrink after only three months dormancy, already hidden below soil level. Last watering was in September. Photo taken in December. It is now little over half way through the winter, and will get water no sooner than mid (depending on weather) or late March.

John C

Post by John C »

iann wrote:I'll see if I can get some pictures of shrivelled plants tomorrow. Won't be pretty but might be interesting :)
Doesn't have to be pretty! When thinking of the topic, I actually figured there would be more photos of shriveled cacti, or cacti in the snow than there is.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great stuff so far. I have been trying to figure out what to do for this one, but think I finally have an idea. Will be cutting in at the last minute, however.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Most of the cacti are not very wrinkly at the moment. Maybe they haven't lost water because of the humidity, maybe they haven't shrunk because it hasn't been cold, or maybe they just haven't been dry for long enough yet.

This Echinocereus fendleri is pretty wrinkly. Looks horrible but that's just what it does in winter. Watering doesn't make any difference and it won't plump up until the days are consistently warm in March or maybe April. Then it will quickly grow to about twice this size.
fendleri-0120.jpg
fendleri-0120.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 6742 times
--ian