Cacti for SE England?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Daniel

Cacti for SE England?

Post by Daniel »

Hi all, and guess what another "what can I grow outside" question, sorry.

Come summer I was thinking of making an outdoor bed for my plants in the garden and I was wondering what plants I could put out there, if any. :-k

The minimum temperature this winter has been -6 Celsius but the winter temps never go really below -10 Celsius for long (say for one night or so) and max temperature in the summer is usually ~25C, I think I can grow some sedums and a K.Pumilla (sp?) and perhaps some echiveras(sp?) but what about cacti? I have an O.ficus indica which I read somewhere is hardy but I am not sure. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:D
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
hoteidoc

Re: Cacti for SE England?

Post by hoteidoc »

See #1 Post/"Sticky" John Weiser's "Short List" in this Section, i.e. Outdoor Cactus. With those temps, you have dozens & dozens to choose from -- as long as the standard "well-drained soil". I'm sure Iann could narrow it down to 30 or so :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yup, I would ask Ian, since he has a much better feel for what grows in the wet humid environment in the UK. I could name plants that are cold hardy, but they live in Arizona, so it's drier here :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Ian and that new member from the UK (forget his name) would probably have the best advice on this. Obviously they need to tolerate winter lows in your area, but the other big considerations you have are that it rains a lot in the UK and it doesn't get very warm in the summer. So if you find lists on the internet or other places about cold hardy cacti (that isn't a UK specific list) make sure you take those issues into mind as well.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

opuntia humifusa will do great, as will escobaria vivipara and maihueniopsis darwinii
the soil REALLY needs to be well drained though
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the comments, I did not realize that opuntias could be so tough! :)
-Daniel

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

not all of them, your o. ficus indica will certainly die outside
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks Arjen, I had a feeling that it is an indoor plant only, I just wanted to check. :)
-Daniel