Melocactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Spikey1007

Melocactus

Post by Spikey1007 »

Im gona buy a melocactus or mabey two melocacti all i wanna know is what ones flower at thier youngest age and i want one thats not difficult to cultivate
so to summerise i want one which is easy to grow and/or flowers earliest in its age.

Cheers Spikey1007.
parodias

Post by parodias »

You will need to keep it warm in winter .. certainly 15 degC. Melocacti first go through a vegetative phase in which they only grow but produce no flowers. When the cepahlium starts to build (ie that furry colored cap on top) then the growth slows down eventuelly stops almost completely and then flowers start to build, many times just inside that woolly top, many times without being seen. Proof of flowering is many times only the "ejection" of the fruits from the cephalium. Fruits look like red small carrots :)
HTH
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Spikey asks -
want one which is easy to grow and/or flowers earliest in its age.
M. matanzanus and M. violaceus

These two, the very easiest and quickest are, fortunately, the ones you are most likely to find in mass distribution. You can probably purchase either of these - with a ceph - for only a few bucks.

GeneS