lithops temperature miday winter,,

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
clemons

lithops temperature miday winter,,

Post by clemons »

ive read plenty of info on how much cold a lithops can take in the winter but not how much warmth thier sapposed to get miday winter..anyone know..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
hablu

Post by hablu »

I'm having them in the same room as my cacti: 6 to 8 degrees celcius. Harry
clemons

Post by clemons »

Hablu,,thanks,i didnt know if they should have a little warmer at miday or just keep them a constant 50f or less all the time..
iann

Post by iann »

You don't have to keep them below 50F all the time but you can if you want. If you keep them warmer, or allow them to get warmer during the day, the new leaves inside will develop slightly faster. Keep them dry or they will stretch upwards in winter, and possibly sidewards on a window sill. You'll get your own "Leaning Lithops of Piza" that you can enter in the novice class at cactus shows ;)
--ian
clemons

Post by clemons »

Ian,luv to see that..novice champion of show..lol..aught to have a section on here called ''train wrecks'' just to show how it shouldnt be done..lol..we learn from our mistakes right....clem
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Clemons,

My mentor in the business of raising succulent plants for profit and fun has several mantra-like sayings. The one that he repeats more than any other is "you cannot really know your plants until you've killed a few of them".

Like you, I'm sure, I was shocked to hear this from a person to whom I give a great amount of respect regarding the raising of cacti and succulents.

His meaning is that until you personally know the limits of the plants that you have chosen to care for, under the conditions that you choose to care for them under, you cannot hope to be successful in the culture of those plants.

Unless you are paying a queen's ransom for your plants, you should work at trying to find out what works best for your conditions, becdause they will not be the same as any other situation.
Buck Hemenway
clemons

Post by clemons »

so i take it ,its alright to keep them roughly 50f constantly during winter ? and not worry bout being warmer miday or colder..