John C's Greenhouse Expansion 2013

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Tiggy

Re: John C's Greenhouse Expansion 2013

Post by Tiggy »

Well done. It seems like all of us are of the same idea here on the forum. I can't wait for the weather to pick up to start planning again. In the meantime it's great watching everyone else's projects. :thumbright: Thanks for sharing.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks! It's always fun to see other people projects! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Very cool, John!
I still think you're being too conservative ;) but then again, you can look forward to next years expansion project :lol: :mrgreen:
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

CoronaCactus wrote:Very cool, John!
I still think you're being too conservative ;)
I was thinking the same thing, all that free yard space. Go BIG! :lol:

Nice expansion and good thing you got the shelf in order before it was a layer of broken pots and plants all over the ground :wink:

Oh and your privacy fence is REALLY nice. I have not seen one made like that in the US before.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
John C

Post by John C »

I still think you're being too conservative ;) but then again, you can look forward to next years expansion project :lol: :mrgreen:
Yeah well... It is only a matter of time before it gets expanded again :wink: This works for now though. 8)
Sharpy wrote:
I still think you're being too conservative ;)
I was thinking the same thing, all that free yard space. Go BIG! :lol:

Nice expansion and good thing you got the shelf in order before it was a layer of broken pots and plants all over the ground :wink:

Oh and your privacy fence is REALLY nice. I have not seen one made like that in the US before.
Yes I have been concerned about that shelf for a while. I half expected to one day walk out to my greenhouse to find everything on the ground - in a pile of dirt and pots.

Yes, the fence is nice. Ones like it are getting pretty common around here. It really needs to be stained though - that's a job!
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hehe John C, you need to just go big next time with your expansion :) I know you are doing it to save money, but it would be nice to be complete :) Nice job, looks easy. I will eventually build my own greenhouse at my house. I was thinking of using PVC pipe too.. I was just going to cement them in and add a connector but, I like the rebar idea. That way if I ever move I can leave the rebar behind (if I cement it in I mean) and remove the structure. I havent really decided but it would be nice to be able to keep all my cacti somewhere other than inside my house when it gets cold ;)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
John C

Post by John C »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:hehe John C, you need to just go big next time with your expansion :) I know you are doing it to save money, but it would be nice to be complete :) Nice job, looks easy. I will eventually build my own greenhouse at my house. I was thinking of using PVC pipe too.. I was just going to cement them in and add a connector but, I like the rebar idea. That way if I ever move I can leave the rebar behind (if I cement it in I mean) and remove the structure. I havent really decided but it would be nice to be able to keep all my cacti somewhere other than inside my house when it gets cold ;)
I didn't expand it too big for a few reasons. One was money, two was that I didn't want to expand it beyond the abilities of my heater. I don't want to get a bigger heater if I don't have to. Yes, it really was easy. I like the way it is constructed because it is so easy to modify and expand as needed. Good luck on your greenhouse! I hear you about moving plants around and inside the house. It gets to be quite a job.
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol Its bad enough bringing them inside my house lol.. can't wait for a greenhouse of my own for the winter.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.