Suggestions for min max thermometer

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Succulent

Suggestions for min max thermometer

Post by Succulent »

I am looking to get a replacement digital thermometer for my green house that can show min and max temps for the last 24 h. If it has a hygrometer function it would be a plus. Ten years ago these simple things were easy to find and cheap. Now many come with wireless functions I don't want. I want something that's reasonably accurate and cheap with a wired probe that I can place in the shade under greenhouse benches.

I was also looking at logging devices online but they all seem very expensive. It would be nice to know how long a min or max temp has been present e.g., but hey that's luxury.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Tapio
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for min max thermometer

Post by daiv »

I was looking for something similar. Costco had a "Weather Station" that looked promising, but so many of the on-line reviews said it was junk. Winter hit before I figured out what to get so I gave up on it. I would not mind starting the season with such a device. I especially want to record the difference in outdoor and greenhouse temps and track it over time.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I found one that records 5 days with two probes. I use one in my seedling bed and the other inside the greenhouse. It records the hi and low for each day with both probes. I'll look and find the name and post it. :)

Taylor Digital Waterproof Maximum/Minimum Thermometer, -20 to 120 Degrees F
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol would kill that in AZ. I think me and my ex's dad might build our own. I gotta bother him again with how to make it, because I don't really know. If we do, I might be able to get data sent to my computer. NB it won't be at my house, but we might be able to get the greenhouse and outdoors temp. Whatever the case, I want one of those things too.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

I have two of these combined thermometer/hygrometers - see link below. This particular one is sold on eBay in the UK but I bought both mine from Hong King - roughly the same price. I have had no problems with either of mine and they do a good job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-T ... 1c2ff7562d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I forgot about the min/max range. That was one thing that was an issue for me as -20F was not low enough for me and 120F is not high enough for the greenhouse. Not that I like cooking my plants, but I wanted to know just how hot it get if something went wrong. - For instance if a vent didn't open.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

in the sun mine I/O thermometer went up to 144.1 F .. apparently it has a better range than that one does cause it still works.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Succulent

Post by Succulent »

cactushobbyman wrote:I found one that records 5 days with two probes. I use one in my seedling bed and the other inside the greenhouse. It records the hi and low for each day with both probes. I'll look and find the name and post it. :)

What is the model number and were did you find it? I can't find a Taylor with 2 probes and 5 day recording on their website.
Tapio
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Succulent wrote:
cactushobbyman wrote:I found one that records 5 days with two probes. I use one in my seedling bed and the other inside the greenhouse. It records the hi and low for each day with both probes. I'll look and find the name and post it. :)

What is the model number and were did you find it? I can't find a Taylor with 2 probes and 5 day recording on their website.
I was wrong, not 5 day, but 7 days. I got it on Amazon and when you set it that the start date. I should have set it at midnight.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Wa ... B0007LTTR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Succulent

Post by Succulent »

cactushobbyman wrote:
I was wrong, not 5 day, but 7 days. I got it on Amazon and when you set it that the start date. I should have set it at midnight.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Wa ... B0007LTTR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)[/quote]
Very cool. I think this will work for me. I really want to monitor minimum temps right now to know when to move in some cold sensitive specimens into the greenhouse. I found it now on Taylor's website under "Restaurant and Hospitality". Thanks :D
Tapio