sexing Jojoba plants.

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Peterthecactusguy

sexing Jojoba plants.

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

An interesting plant in the desert that grows readily around here is the Jojoba bush. It's called Simmondsia chinensis (its a misspelling some how it got called chinensis (which means from China) while it's a new world plant. As a dioecious plant it has male and female flowers on separate plants. ( a classic example of this is the American Holly tree, which has female members with the red berries and males which have no berries at all). These were in bloom around BCC on around March first.
ImageMale plant. The flowers emit pollen and look like little round balls.

Image Female plant. These have the berries or in this particular plant's case the hard nut-like seeds, which can be used to make coffee, where the common name coffee bush comes from.
Hope at least someone else enjoys this and learned something new :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
lois

Re: sexing Jojoba plants.

Post by lois »

Hello, I have successfully grown jojoba from nuts collected from established trees. They are in pots, about 10 cm tall after 3-4 months. Is there anyway I can tell if they are female/male early?. Some say it takes 3 years, when they flower.