Greenhouse bed

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
neon21

Greenhouse bed

Post by neon21 »

I am considering purchasing a new greenhouse and planting it out with raised cacti beds. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with cacti in the ground in greenhouses?

I know vegetables such as tomatoes do poorly in greenhouse beds if grown repetitively. Do cacti have any trouble with disease in the soil or air circulation?

Is this idea possible and are there any things I should be warned about?

Thanks
Joel143

Re: Greenhouse bed

Post by Joel143 »

Interesting topic as I also was planning on doing a raised bed inside my greenhouse. Will be keeping a close watch on this topic as I too am interested in the replies.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I don't know. I wouldnt mind being able to have a greenhouse that I could grow some monster Opuntia from SA and other places (think Islands in the Pacific! ) and that is the only way I could grow some of them.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hob did a small in-ground bed in one of his greenhouses and the plants were doing very well last time he posted on it.

GeneS also has some in-greenhouse beds, which you can see here: http://dgimages.smugmug.com/Cactus-Succ ... &k=rMWdDGF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
majcka

Post by majcka »

I don't know exactly what it means raised cacti bed but; I have my cacti in big wooden box. They are in with their own pots. Most of them lived trough winter unharmed. And I don't have no heath in GH. If you're interested here is the link.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook