Wintery Greenhouse Visit

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
daiv
Site Admin

Wintery Greenhouse Visit

Post by daiv »

I went out to visit the greenhouse last Saturday and took some video. It is so hard to walk in that deep snow where you sink in each step.

Not the greatest video work, but just wanted to give a feel for it.

Oh and I know Snowshoe should be one word! #-o
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactushobbyman

Re: Wintery Greenhouse Visit

Post by cactushobbyman »

What is the roof covering? Weight of the snow didn't seam to be too much. 90 degrees! That's spring time inside. :D
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

:hal Didn't you take a flask of coffee with you Daiv? :coffee: I think if that was me I would have put my feet up and enjoyed the heat for a while before the trek back. It's certainly stood up to the winter well. Pity the temps. drop so much at night though. :pale: Nice to see that thanks for sharing. =D>

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Daiv, it seems that your greenhouse overcame the winter very well so far.
It looks like it last another 2 month before you can use it for your cacti.
How far is the grenhouse distant from your home? It seems not very close.
BTW, last night we got again a half foot snow.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
majcka

Post by majcka »

Do you take ALL your cacti out of the GH during winter? How long does that take?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

With temperatures like that I would be tempted to move some of the more cold hardy plants out now.

Do you have a recording thermometer? Do you have a way to see what the temperature range has been for this winter?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

At least its for enough in the middle of no wheres that it isn't filled with homeless people. If that was around here you would show up to a group of people with a fire and cooking hot dogs :lol:

The snow did sag the gutter a little bit, but other then that it looks to be in great shape!
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Nice vid Dave looks like your GH is doing great, how much snow ya got right now you should have this small warm up like us now. If the temps were not so cold at night our snow might melt just alittle faster. I gota get out to my GH's and start shoveling snow away from them so i can remove tarps and open doors and start cleaning but i still have alot of snow to trudge thru.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
iann

Post by iann »

Where's all the plants :shock: ?
--ian
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Why can't I quit thinking I should be hearing a version of Laura's Theme during the intro march? 8) =D>

Cheers ... GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Everyone - thanks for all the feedback!

@ cactushobbyman - The roof is polycarbonate sheets that come 3 feet by 10 feet. I get them from an Amish guy, who gets them from Ireland! (no kidding!)

@ Tiggy - the night temps are the problem for sure! Tonight *MIGHT* be our first night above freezing since November.

@Ralf - Yes, the plastic sheeting is the heavy-duty, UV protected greenhouse plastic. I am pleased with it. I actually hope to have my plants out within a month, rather than two months! I can stave off mild freezing with my heater. The greenhouse is 9 miles from where I live. I am in town with a VERY shady yard. (oak trees) - so this is on my father's property - it is a 200 acre farm. No measurable snow in the forecast here - but plenty still around!

@Maja - YES! All of them come out and go in the basement. I move them in flats so I can move many at one time, but it is still work. I suppose 3 hours or so. The worst part by far is carrying them down the stairs into the basement and back out. I help my friend Ron do that with his water lilies and other plants too. But I need the exercise!

@Harriet - the temptation is strong! However, two things prevent it. First the snow needs to go away. Even the 4x4 truck doesn't have enough clearance for the depth of snow. However, the bigger problem is that Sunday Night is supposed to go down to 7F, Saturday 5F, and Monday 10F. My heater can do prevent freezing when it gets down to 27F or so, but definitely not that single digit stuff! I badly want to get a recording thermometer - hard to find one that handles the extremes I get. Most stop at -20F.

@Doug -not much for homeless people around these parts - too rural. Yes, the gutter caught a lot of snow and ice and bent. Next hear, I think I'm going to put a cover over it so the snow slides over the top of it. Should be a simple solution.

@Tracey - we had 2 feet on the level just a couple days ago, but it has been condensing. Today is the warmest yet - almost hit 50F! Our walkway is finally ice-free - first time since December! I'm right there with you - spring cleaning is high on my mind!

@Ian - still in their dark prison in the basement!

@GeneS -Haha! I thought of putting music on the video, but I wanted you to hear the crunching of the snow, and also you can hear the wind blowing over the hills. I thought that gave an added feeling of desolation.
majcka

Post by majcka »

You know Daiv. I feel pity for your cacti. Not that you can do much more for them in circumstances but still. #-o

And for your back too, of course. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

John C

Post by John C »

Your greenhouse looks like it held up well! Now it just needs more warmth, less snow, and some plants!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I am sorta confused. If your greenhouse is 90F inside do you keep your plants out of it due to lack of light? or would it be much colder in the night time? You said it was over cast, so how is the greenhouse almost 90F when it's 30F outside and overcast?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I keep the plants in because as soon as the sun is off the greenhouse, it drops to ambient temperature almost immediately. It is surprising to me actually how fast it drops without sun. The little propane heater I have can stave off outside temps of perhaps 28F or so. So I should be good starting this weekend.

How the greenhouse can hit 90F when it is 30F and overcast is apparently because the sun puts out enough energy to do that. I purposely mentioned that because it is really surprising.