Another greenhouse build...

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CoronaCactus

Re: Another greenhouse build...

Post by CoronaCactus »

Mark wrote:Hey Darryl, do you treat the wood for the benches? If so how or with what?
This wood has not been treated yet, but we will treat it with Thompsons Water Seal. It's what we used on the other houses and it works really well. Goes on like paint.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sweet! Thanks Darryl!

Mark
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Not a whole lot of progress since last time. The outer bench frame on the right side is complete, ran out of top boards to finish it off :roll: Although quite a few small things have been done to be able to go forward with the bigger stuff. It's busy season so it's getting harder and harder to find time to work on it. It's a double edged sword situation...

After loading up some plants, we quickly discovered that the low bench (10' x 5') just isn't going to be enough. Had to change gears and redesign the middle bench layout to accommodate 2 more low benches for the larger plants. This was expected...nice to be able to check things like this as we build.
CCN GH3 2013
CCN GH3 2013
GH3_22.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
CCN GH3 2013
CCN GH3 2013
GH3_23.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Darryl,
You do nice work! I am curious, why have a "low bench" at all? I mean the full height benches are nice for potted plants so you don't have to stoop over to look at them and work with them. But for the big plants, why not just put them on the floor? You have to stoop down on the low bench anyway. :-k
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks man!

Well, first off i really dislike seeing a greenhouse with plants just sitting on the ground, call it a pet peeve. I just prefer to have benches. Also makes it just that much easier for crawly bugs and insects to get into the pots when sitting on the ground. (although this isn't really a big deal, they can crawl up the benches too!) Some plants will try to root down through the drain holes since they'll be sitting on gravel. I'm all for ease of use and staying on a budget, but i just can't bring myself to put them on the ground.

Jen has a tough time moving the larger heavier plants/pots on the normal height benches, these low benches help her not only to move them easier, but to see them too :lol: Plus, until August, she's got baby boy #2 onboard!

Allows us to keep them better spaced apart so they aren't all growing into each other or touching the shadecloth if on the higher benches. No more smaller plants getting shaded or crowded by the big guys either.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Sooo jealous! Looking fantastic Darryl =D>

I see you are using 1x4 for the table tops. Can I get your thoughts behind this choice? I was going to go with 1x2 thinking it would be better in preventing water ponding under containers.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I see. Well your methods definitely work well.

@Sharpy - I'm thinking those are 1x6 boards he is using...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Correct, 1 x 6 dog ear fencing.
Used 1 x 3 in the first house, 3 per flat but not quite enough support. Used 1 x 2 in the second house spaced much closer together and that worked really well. Using these 1 x 6 now as i got those ones free, plus this adds even more support for the flats. Another plus is the way they face, back to front making it easy to slide the flats on/off the benches, as opposed to the other houses they run lengthwise. Using the DG/pumice/NAPA mix, it's pretty heavy. A full GH of flats with heavy soil needs good support to last long.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Cedar fencing is very cost effective. Length wise does make it hard to slide the flats, I was thinking the same. Only problem, so many cuts. :lol:
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Thanks, its probably cheaper also, need to check.

Will be going from front to back, with the boards, no matter what size. Ive cut wood for half my life, so a bunch of cuts does not scare me, lol.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!