Another greenhouse build...

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CoronaCactus

Another greenhouse build...

Post by CoronaCactus »

Talking with Daiv yesterday, i realized i haven't posted about our new greenhouses at the nursery. We're now working on #3 of 4. This is the latest progress photo. Unfortunately with how busy we are, i can only afford one day a week to work on it, so it's taking quite a while to complete. But it's really starting to look like something now! :P

Conley Frame 20' x 48'
As with the others, we had to add the water lines, place the side posts in concrete, lay the weed cloth, then pull an exasperating number of weeds BY HAND! It has just rained the day before and it was actually pretty easy to pull them, roots and all! Just mowing or whacking them down would have resulted in more weeds next year.

Just got the left side benches complete. I'm standing on the pile of gravel for the photo.
CCN Greenhouse #3
CCN Greenhouse #3
GH3_21.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
cactushobbyman

Re: Another greenhouse build...

Post by cactushobbyman »

Now were talking greenhouses. Will you have just shade screen only? Or in winter will you add plastic? :D
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I've kept a plastic "roof" on the other cactus house full time for a few years now. That house has open sides and front with a solid rear wall with just a few vents cut into it. Works really well, but was getting a bit too hot during the mid-summer months. This new house will be the same except i left out the solid rear wall in favor of open air. If you look along the top of the sidewall where the arches start, that's where the plastic will end. Sides, front and back will remain open.

Incase you were wondering, that's 30% shadecloth. Almost like it's not there....i like.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

That's a nice, big greenhouse you got there! Looks great!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Looks fantastic Darryl!

The other 2 are like this one? And can you do a guess of sq.ft. of table space per GH? Just trying to judge it against my future stuff.

What made you decide on 30% cloth? I was leaning towards 40 or 50, but different environment. Quite hot and intense sun, but very humid. How would that effect your choice?

Figured just spew out all the questions at once, lol.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Awesome! So great to see the CCN expanding!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Let me know when I can move to Corona and start working for you, Darryl. I'm also a great cook and good with young children.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Sharpy wrote:Looks fantastic Darryl!

The other 2 are like this one? And can you do a guess of sq.ft. of table space per GH? Just trying to judge it against my future stuff.

What made you decide on 30% cloth? I was leaning towards 40 or 50, but different environment. Quite hot and intense sun, but very humid. How would that effect your choice?

Figured just spew out all the questions at once, lol.
3 of the 4 are like this one, the 4th will have an inground bed.
IIRC, each house has about 680 - 700sq.ft. of bench space.

I chose 30% by process of elimination. Used 60% on the succulent house, works OK but it's a bit much for real sun lovers. Used 50% on the cactus house, but with the permanent plastic roof it's a bit too much. It's very dry and dusty here and the plastic gets dirty, acts like a whitewash. Used 40% on our home shadehouse and found that to be perfect. It does have a corrugated plastic roof, but an 8x16' roof is way easier to keep clean!! So i'm banking on 30% plus the plastic to be right on the money.

Florida is a totally different universe from California, climate wise. I really don't know what i'd do with that much humidity. We only see rain for a few months in the winter, summer has the same heat with intense sun. So i would assume you'd have to have some sort of rain protection. Lots of ventilation and moving air (ie. fans) will be needed to combat the effects of all that humidity. What i've learned is it's easier to add more shade than it is to add more sun ;)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

peterb wrote:Let me know when I can move to Corona and start working for you, Darryl. I'm also a great cook and good with young children.

peterb
If only we could be so lucky!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Another greenhouse?!?! :D I hope you can post some more eye candy if you get time. Looks great so far. What plants do you intend to grow in this one? :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
John C

Post by John C »

Awesome Darryl! You guys are doing fantastic with your greenhouses! I'm also happy to see Corona Cactus Nursery expanding! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Thanks for the input Darryl. Looking forward to your next update.

Cheers
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow it looks good Darryl. I want to see those up close one day!

Mark
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

heh. I am still slowly plugging away at the hothouse/greenhouse/shadehouse for my ex's mother. (ok my mouse decided to die and for some reason it posted my post while I was typing) I wish you luck Darryl. who knows maybe someday I will be able to grow some plants and sell them too. I might have too my grown from seed plants are quickly multiplying! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Darryl, do you treat the wood for the benches? If so how or with what?

Mark