eating prickly pear WITHOUT removing the glocids

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
comike

eating prickly pear WITHOUT removing the glocids

Post by comike »

HELLO!
Supposedly through studying feces from cave dwellers in Mesa Verde National Park, glocids have been found.

I've seen a lot of discussion here about various ways to remove glocids and preparing opuntia to eat.

What about the subject of whether we can eat the pads 'raw' -without removing glocids?

Many animals here in Colorado eat (Plains Prickly Pear, for example) In their case I'm curious about how they deal with spines, too!

just wondering :? , CoMike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:shock: I prefer my prickly pears "a la carte" -i.e. no glochids.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Whatever eats pads with glochids is tougher than I ever want to be :lol:

I honestly believe whatever/whoever did it eat glochids would be in pain from beginning to end :shock:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

ihc6480 wrote:
I honestly believe whatever/whoever did it eat glochids would be in pain from beginning to end :shock:
:lol: Thats good Bill,talk about a cactusbutt :P
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

cactusbutt wrote:
ihc6480 wrote:
:lol: Thats good Bill,talk about a cactusbutt :P
:lol: Should of known my old bud would catch that one :wink:
Bill

JAF5000

Post by JAF5000 »

whats a glocid
LIVE TO ROCK, ROCK TO LIVE

my very own life cycle.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

/Christer
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Here you go. Hair like spines that are usually barbed and hard to get out of any part of your body that gets stuck by them.
click to enlarge
Bill

YumAz

Post by YumAz »

Opuntia ficus-indica
* The joints of this cactus contain 6.840% water, 2.158% fat, 43.016% carbohydrate, 5.254% protein, 14.320% fiber and yield 28.412% ash.

The flamed (or microwaved) joints are split open and applied as a healing pad in cases of rheumatic and asthmatic symptoms of the chest, liver trouble, earaches, and tumors. A cataplasm is made from the fleshy joint and applied to the skin, externally, for cases of sun/windburn, minor rash/burn, hemorrhoids, snake/insect bites, and minor abrasions. An overnight infusion of the sliced, raw joints is consumed to treat eye inflammation, rabies, pimples, dysentery, and diarrhea. A sweetened infusion is drunk to lower fever and relieve chest pains. A decoction of cubed, peeled joints is drunk to relieve stomachache, and a root decoction was once used to treat gonorrhea.

The fruit (and seeds) are eaten raw, cooked, or preserved, in many countries worldwide. In Curacao, the pulp is infused (often with lime and sugar) and drunk all day, replacing water.

Also in Curacao and Puerto Rico, the pulp is used as a shampoo for hair, as well as added to whitewash as an adherent.

Farmers in Baja California, Mexico, remove the spines of this and other species of the genus Opuntia and feed it to their cattle. At the turn of the 19th century, this technique was experimented with on farms of Maui, Hawaii, but the seeds caused indigestion in the cows and were subsequently rejected.
excerpt http://www.nybg.org/bsci/herb/cactaceae ... thnobotany