Far Northern Vermont, 2013

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
fanaticactus

Far Northern Vermont, 2013

Post by fanaticactus »

After a very long, cold, windy winter and spring, we're slowly getting back to where we should be by now. We only had two major snowstorms; other minor snowfalls were often just enough to cover the ground with one to three inches. The garden is a mixed bag, so to speak, with small seedlings surviving quite admirably, but a larger O. humifusa, so reliable for the past three or four years, seems to be having a difficult time coming back to life. In the photos below you'll see another Opuntia; I'm not sure if it's another humifusa or another species--its areoles and pads seem a bit different to me, and it looks very healthy. The other garden inhabitants are all thanks to the generosity of Andy_CT. Below, in no particular order, are some Echinocer reichenbachii baileyi seedlings, a couple of C. imbricata arborescens and O. polyacantha 'North Dakota', one large and two smaller Sempervivum jovibarba varieties and some single pads of O. fragilis 'Little Washington'.
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (186.8 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG (161.36 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG (143.07 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG (84.58 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG (164.44 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG (207.96 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Andy_CT

Re: Far Northern Vermont, 2013

Post by Andy_CT »

fanaticactus wrote:but a larger O. humifusa, so reliable for the past three or four years, seems to be having a difficult time coming back to life.
Humifusa is often the last to get going, it looks fine from what I see.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

even here in the desert mine isn't doing a whole lot. It never really does. Probably too warm and not cold enough during winter for it to do what it should do.

is the Opuntia you are wondering about in the top picture? That looks like O. humifusa to me.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:even here in the desert mine isn't doing a whole lot. It never really does. Probably too warm and not cold enough during winter for it to do what it should do.

is the Opuntia you are wondering about in the top picture? That looks like O. humifusa to me.
The one I'm sort of concerned about is the one in the last shot. Do you think the first one is also humifusa, Peter?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote:
fanaticactus wrote:but a larger O. humifusa, so reliable for the past three or four years, seems to be having a difficult time coming back to life.
Humifusa is often the last to get going, it looks fine from what I see.
The last picture, Andy? If so, I'll rely on your experience and keep my fingers crossed.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I think both those are O. humifusa. One is just more woken up then the other. I am not sure, because mine have never been in temps even close to what yours have been in I am sure. The first one looks woken up for sure, the bottom one looks dehydrated still.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

fanaticactus wrote: The last picture, Andy? If so, I'll rely on your experience and keep my fingers crossed.
Yeah, it looks fine based on that picture.

Here's two pictures of the same humifusa plant from 2009, one from mid April the other from early June. Still have concerns?
hum01.jpg
hum01.jpg (237.8 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
hum02.jpg
hum02.jpg (209.11 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote: Here's two pictures of the same humifusa plant from 2009, one from mid April the other from early June. Still have concerns?
Well, based on that visual proof, I guess not. I just thought it had shown signs of "revival" by this time the last couple of years. Of course, this winter was a lot colder and longer than those winters. BTW, I'm still looking for the other Semps you sent that I planted late last summer. I drew a plot of the garden, noting the areas I had placed them. Maybe they got swept away by the wind and snow. Hope not. I'll keep looking.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Nice cacti!

Amazing the cold some of them can deal with.

That Sempervivum is quite the color sensation!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks, MJ --but I still wish I could have a garden as amazingly beautiful as yours. As for the Semp, we have Andy to thank for that. It is very special, isn't it?
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

fanaticactus wrote: As for the Semp, we have Andy to thank for that. It is very special, isn't it?
I guess I need to chime in and say that it is not a Semp. The genus is Jovibarba. I forget its exact name but I do believe it is a hybrid. I got 3 little heads of that 4 years ago and now there are little mounds of it all over the place.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

So sorry, Andy. Thanks for the correction. I thought it was a species of Sempervivum. By the way, I did see some others that survived Winter, but I haven't had time to study my planting chart to see which ones. Hope your garden's coming along well this year. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Sorry? just a simple mistake :D

Garden is mostly having a ball here, will be the best year yet but that's not saying much since my gardens are only 4-6 years old.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

A while ago, on a cloudy day, I weeded out the cactus garden before those spines "came to life" and made access to the roots of all the weeds impossible to get out. Things are now looking a little better especially, as several of you reassured me, a couple of the humifusa pads have begun to lift and show some green.
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG (158.05 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Once I had cleared away some dried leaves and dead perennial flower stalks I was glad to see my third Cylindropuntia--an imbricata argentea--has survived the winter and looks pretty good (although this picture isn't great); I'll try to get a better photo soon. It kind of blends into the background. Nature's protection??
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG (103.97 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
And new growth has started on one of the O. polyacanthas.
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG (127.53 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
I've found room to add maybe two or three more cacti to this garden before it becomes too crowded. I'm thinking maybe something from the Escobarias or smaller Echinocereus--if I can get a 4" pot size and plant it soon so it'll have a nice start before the next winter comes along.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I had put three of the E. reichenbachii baileyi seedlings that Andy_CT had raised and sent me last year directly into the garden, and three I saved aside in pots in case the garden ones succumbed to winter. However, they did survive and actually look far better than the ones in pots. So I decided to transfer the potted ones to the garden and made a little "grouping" of them. Before they went in, I snapped a picture of the terrific root system they had developed under Andy's care and my maintenance.
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG (132.39 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG (146.56 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
After nearly two weeks of gorgeous dry 80-degree weather we had, lots of new growth began to show on the top edge of an O. polyacantha 'North Dakota' (it took 3 photos to get it all--26 buds, either flowers or new pads), an Opuntia sp (many of you say it's another humifusa, but it looks soooo different from my other two: much thicker pads and virtually spineless), single dark pads of an O. fragilis, my three C. imbricata are all showing new growth, and the Jovibarba are pupping (even the pups!).
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG (124.03 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG (96 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG (118.57 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG (88.41 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG (78.29 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG (89.36 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG (71.6 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
As I was repotting some Tricho/Echinopsis hybrid, I separated one of the babies that had some mealies on it. Instead of throwing it away, since I know mealies don't bother the garden cacti, I planted it. I know it's not intended to withstand the winter outside, but I thought what have I got to lose? And if it makes it (it's fairly well protected), it'll probably be a first this far north.
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG (87.96 KiB) Viewed 2941 times