Help with many succulents

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
liisa8800

Help with many succulents

Post by liisa8800 »

Hi! I have planned on ordering some succulent seeds (Pleiospilos, Gibbaeum, Conophytum, Dinteranthus, Cheiridopsis) but i have growed only lihtops and titanopsis, titanopsis is growing very well, but i have killed some lithops and know i have only one plant what is even doing very well now. Does anyone know maybe some link of descripsion of how to grow the plant i named? Sorry for my english .
I'm not Englis guy, so im sorry if i have mistakes in my text.
Liisa

Be shiny :D .
iann

Re: Help with many succulents

Post by iann »

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=10071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

This is very helpful too: https://files.nyu.edu/ms689/public/AGM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the most important things you need to learn about your plants is which ones are summer growers and which are winter growers. For example, Titanopsis is a winter grower while Lithops is a summer grower. Watering at the wrong time of year makes them likely to rot.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
iann

Post by iann »

Except that Titanopsis isn't a winter grower. Certainly not in Estonia. Two species prefer cooler weather, but liisa is almost certainly referring to T. calcarea which at best is an autumn grower, and comfortably a summer grower in cooler climates.

Gibbaeum, Conophytum, and Cheiridopsis are winter growers, but not the depths of winter. Conophytum grow mostly in autumn and the other two mostly in spring unless you live in the tropics or a hot desert. Non-sheathing Gibbaeums and Cheiridopsis need some water right through summer.

Dinteranthus is very much like Lithops, except more sun and heat tolerant and requires less water. I bake during summer, grow during autumn.
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

iann wrote:Except that Titanopsis isn't a winter grower. Certainly not in Estonia. Two species prefer cooler weather, but liisa is almost certainly referring to T. calcarea which at best is an autumn grower, and comfortably a summer grower in cooler climates.
It depends on the species. If you have T. calcarea like Ian believes then it is a summer grower. I have T. hugoschlecteri and it is most definitely starting to enter dormancy now.

According to Hammer: "Horticulturally the Titanopsis species fall in two camps: the easterners, T. calcarea and the probably synonymous T. fulleri, which grow in summer and flower in fall, and the westerners, T. schwantesii (including, sensu lato, T. luederitzii and T. “primosii” L.Bolus ms.) and T. hugo-schlechteri, which flower in winter or spring and which tend to grow in winter. "

This goes to show why you need to know exactly what you have. In this case you don't only need to know the genus, you need to know the species. Do you know what species you have? If not, show us a picture so we can tell you.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants