Contest 79 : Dicussion and related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
Jens

Re: Contest 79 : Dicussion and related Pictures

Post by Jens »

No need for a flower to take a great Makro Shot!

PS the E. laui on it´s own roots is amazing. Don´t water too much and don´t put it in full sun. Rimacactus lives in those cracks of the rocks with some condensating water running down but no rain ever.
John C

Post by John C »

Great photos everyone! Keep them coming!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Jens wrote:PS the E. laui on it´s own roots is amazing. Don´t water too much and don´t put it in full sun. Rimacactus lives in those cracks of the rocks with some condensating water running down but no rain ever.
Thanks Jens. :) Everyone seems to think they're impossible on their own roots, so I see that as a challenge. :wink: I've got two seedlings to play around with, that one being the oldest, at about 4-5 months old and the other one germinated unexpectedly about a month ago. Do you have any plants of this species in your collection, Jens? :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have had a grafted plant and flowered it only to loose it later, but have another small grafted plant again though not yet flowered it. I will hopefully eventually root an offset down:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ERIOSY ... e_laui.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not convinced it is an Eriosyce, or exactly what it is, so I think the monotypic genus Rimacactus Roy Mottram erected is a good home for it until DNA studies are done.
Jens

Post by Jens »

I sowed about 40 seeds this spring and some 15 or so germinated. I keek spraying them in an open plastic baggy. The small seedlings look shrunken but most of them well.... well so far they do.

This one survived about a year
Eriosyce laui 28.09.09 Sämling 6 Monate_klein.jpg
Eriosyce laui 28.09.09 Sämling 6 Monate_klein.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 11102 times
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Well this contest is no fun. I have like a million billion macro photos and trying to choose one is well....Image
Jens

Post by Jens »

Nice " smiley" Andy. Just have a vote off on your facebook account, haha. =D>

@Cactus Fan Dan: Very nice subject Dan ! The photo is a little bit out off focus isn´t it? #-o

Another close up flower two days ago
Echinocereus (Wilcoxia) tamaulipensis 2013 Juno10-3.jpg
Echinocereus (Wilcoxia) tamaulipensis 2013 Juno10-3.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Jens wrote:@Cactus Fan Dan: Very nice subject Dan ! The photo is a little bit out off focus isn´t it? #-o
I think the folly was zooming in as close as possible before cropping. I've substituted a better crop of the same original photo. I don't think there's anything in the rules about doing such a thing. :P Also I think Rimacactus likes fairly low light levels, which is why your one year old seedling is such a deep red, from light stress. I'm keeping my plants on the dry side and in my lightbox. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hi Dan , that one is much better! I would have suggested that you might think about replacing it with a better exposure too. I really like the subject you chose!

about Rimacactus: I took a picture of my 4 month old seedlings today. Let´s see if I can manage to post it today.

edit: Here they are (I have to resist the itch to give them normal waterings)
Attachments
Eriosyce (Rimacactus) laui, 4 Monate 2013 Juno12.jpg
Eriosyce (Rimacactus) laui, 4 Monate 2013 Juno12.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
Eriosyce (Rimacactus) laui, 4 Monate 2013 Juno12-3.jpg
Eriosyce (Rimacactus) laui, 4 Monate 2013 Juno12-3.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

They're very red. :wink: They seem to be growing slower than mine, though, possibly due to being light stressed. Either way they're alive! Which is better than most people can manage, so I'd consider that a success. :wink: Also I have more Eriosyce related matters for you, so I'll send you a PM in a moment. :)

Lots of great entries to this month's contest! Going to be a close one, I think. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
Jens

Post by Jens »

Great entry AndyCT! Other succulents are often built very interesting in the close view. Why don´t I grow more of those anyway? :-k

New growth on the spineless form of Puna bonniae
Puna bonniae 2013 Juno16.jpg
Puna bonniae 2013 Juno16.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 11040 times
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Not really that interesting but never the less, my test shot of magnification for the setup used in my shot.

Just under 14mm in a full shot for a 23.6mm sensor. 2:1 magnification should really be just under 12mm so I'm alittle bit off 2x...more like 1.7:1
majcka

Post by majcka »

SnowFella wrote:Not really that interesting but never the less, my test shot of magnification for the setup used in my shot.

Just under 14mm in a full shot for a 23.6mm sensor. 2:1 magnification should really be just under 12mm so I'm alittle bit off 2x...more like 1.7:1
What an accuracy. Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Jens

Post by Jens »

Another close up from yesterday. BTW deadline for posting is June 20th at Midnight in Texas.
Attachments
Notocactus rutilans 2013 Juno18-4.jpg
Notocactus rutilans 2013 Juno18-4.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 10996 times
Gymnocalycium anisitsii 2013 Juno18-4.jpg
Gymnocalycium anisitsii 2013 Juno18-4.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 10996 times