Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Spikey1007

Seedlings

Post by Spikey1007 »

Hello everyone Im growing some cacti from seed i am using floresent artificial strong light i used instructions off the web any way what i want to know is even tho the seeds have not opened (germinated) yet do i still have to turn off the light for a few hours so it makes the cacti feel as if they were in the desert?
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

Yes they germinate well with an off cycle. I give 16/8 all the way through.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Agreed, day length (or light length) is a factor that triggers germination for many species (not all, but a lot). Temperature fluctuation can be helpful with some, i.e. warm days near 80-90F and cool nights in the mid 60's.

I read an article about barometric pressure being used to increase germination rates of barley. I wonder if the whopping thunderstorms that blow through the North American deserts also serve as a trigger. Of course, changing the air pressure around our seed trays is probably cost prohibitive...

Peterb
iann

Post by iann »

Peter, maybe you've struck on the success factor that makes seeds germinate so well for me. Low Pressure! Hardly a week goes by without some mild depression or ex-tropical storm comes swinging over the British Isles :)
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:laughing3:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Ian- shipping you a special hypobaric cactus seed germination chamber, to further enhance your results...

Peterb
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter,
Do they make those with pressure adjustments for us here in the states? I don't do so well with seeds. :wink:

Daiv
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Well about a week ago two seeds of a Melocactus Conoideus germinated but i did not let them grow big enough and transplanted them unfortunatley they died it took 2 weeks for them to germinate, so i plant a big batch last thursday 9th/11/06 and already i see about 4 on the surface germinating and im pretty sure some under the surface are germinating what i want to know is how big do they need to get before i cover them with a cloth to avoid scorching them???

Please note i am very pleased as i have never grown any plant from seed before and i cant belive i done it.
iann

Post by iann »

Under lights I wouldn't have thought you would need to shade them. I've had a couple of species that went a pretty intense red under fluorescents but the solution is easy ... turn down the lights! If you think something is going to scorch, then it needs shading immediately, they are most sensitive as soon as they pop up.
--ian
parodias

Post by parodias »

Under lights right now .. germinated in the gh, overwintering in the basement
Wigginsia & Weingartia ..

(click picture for larger picture)
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great little babies!
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

:D Spikey you are into sowing too, it really looks like fun! I will be doing mine over the weekend. I read that they don´t need too much light before they germinate but will require more light as they start to grow. My plan is to place the lights higher at the beginning and get them gradually closer to my seedlings as they star to grow. Let's see how they do, good luck with yours :thumbup:
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Total number of germinated seeds = 8, well im happy good luck with yours Plantcelot.
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Total number of germinated seeds = 8, well im happy good luck with yours Plantcelot.
Don't give up on the others Spikey, germination will be erratic :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
parodias

Post by parodias »

Proof that it can be done ..
Microsperm Parodias (a mix) after 4 months

click to see larger picture
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.