Haworthia is looking sickly

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
groshesa

Haworthia is looking sickly

Post by groshesa »

Hi!
You all helped me immensely when I needed to identify and repot my haworthia! It had done well for over a year even flowering once! In the last few weeks, it has started wilting. It isn't for lack of water, as the soil is still moist, and I only water when it is dry to touch.
I've grown attached to this little succulent, so any advice on keeping it alive would be appreciated!
Thanks a ton!
groshesa

Re: Haworthia is looking sickly

Post by groshesa »

Anybody?
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

It would be nice if there was a picture.....
Have you checked it's roots?
I've also heard you shouldn't immediately water a succulent when you repot it....
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
groshesa

Post by groshesa »

So far, I haven't done anything other than look on with dismay. It had thrived and doubled in size since reporting, so I think that was a success. I haven't been brave enough to check out roots. I'm such a novice, I have no idea where to start.
I attempted to attach photos. I hope it works. Please be gentle if I have done something horrendous! ;-)
Thanks for your help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 9693 times
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Are you growing it as a houseplant? If so, how far from a window do you keep it? Do you notice how long the new leaves are? That is due to the plant stretching in desperate hopes of finding more light.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
groshesa

Post by groshesa »

I generally keep it about 2 feet from an east facing window. I attempted to give it more sun, even taking it outside most days. It's now looking brownish! Now what do I do? Am I killing the poor thing?
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Haworthias like to be more in the shade, they turn reddish brown if they get too much sun. I have several Haworthias, they are in a Greenhouse but I have positioned them so that they get only filtered sun or just shade. They are all green and growing. In the summer I water them every few weeks or so because It gets very hot here. I have not lost any plants except a couple of Lithops and one Faucaria, they are hard yo keep alive, at least in my case!:-)
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
iann

Post by iann »

Whoa! Lack of light, dude 8) This is a relatively long-leaved species so it will never be completely flat to the ground, but at the moment the leaves are about twice as long (or half as wide?) as they should be. It is also pale from the lack of light. Unfortunately, putting it out in the sun in this condition is probably no good either, because those leaves aren't used to it. Unless you live in the desert, outside is probably great for it but only when it is adapted.

If it is in moist soil and still shrivelling up then you need to get it out of the moist soil. Probably it has no roots and if you leave it in the wet soil, the plant will rot. Once you see what is left below ground, you can decide what to do next. Maybe try to root cuttings, or perhaps just plant the whole lot and hope. Haworthias are pretty good about rooting, but you'll need to give it some time.
--ian
littlebluefish

Post by littlebluefish »

Curious what happened with your plant ? did it end up dying? Haworthia are an amazing plant.. you can if your still having the same conditions pull it out of the soil and let it dry for a couple days.. to a week or more depending on your conditions and then re-pot it... Haworthia with not one single root will re-root rather quickly.. and yes the pictures show it needed more light.. outside put it under something so its filtered some... ps. most novice will use a soil way too organic for a haworthia or most succulents. (this is what leads to roots rotting and why the mixture might of been wet more than a week later??? that is my guess... ) For years I used a mix of 50/ 50 coarse sand and regular potting mix.. but this is not what I use now which has no peat moss at all in it and rather coarse.. with open porous texture for fast drainage.. this looks like its a zebra haworthia which currently I have been experimenting with using only just small aquarium stones... ( not a normal thing to use but I have many ) if yours died maybe I could send you a fresh one to try again.. I have a abundance of them.. lol Haworthia are my true addiction... ever have a question shoot me a note....

sorry for being a know it all... but i should tell you I have for years plucked lower leaves off this type and repotted with no roots and like I said I have a over abundance of them...
something you could do with the crazy overly long leaves... to restart yours...

good luck with yours I would love to see or know whats the latest on them.