Growing Prickly Pear pads

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
kickice

Growing Prickly Pear pads

Post by kickice »

Hi there!

I've got 5 prickly pear pads, that I got in Tunisia, North Africa.

I just got them 2 days ago. So I'm wondering what is the best way for me to go about growing them?

I've read that leaving them for a while to allow the 'cuts' to heal is the way to go about it, before putting them in soil. So as to stop rotting. Is that the case? And if so - how long should I leave it before I try to get them rooted?

Also, when I do put them in soil, do I water it? Or leave it dry for a while?

Any help appreciated, as I've never tried to grow from prickly pear pads before!
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

What you've read sounds about right. How long to leave them? Depends on where you are in the world: Arizona, Sydney or Aberdeen? Typically about a week should be OK. Personally I'd plant in a compost that's got a fair bit of grit mixed in and I'd use damp compost (essentially as it comes from the bag). If you use 'neat' potting compost that should be OK too but if it's bone dry you might struggle to re-wet it when you start watering.
One important thing to consider is how deep to bury the pads; if they are a fair size the temptation is to bury the bottom 3 inches so they don't fall over. This can work fine but slightly increases the chance of them rotting. If you can get away with less all the better. I'd dribble a bit of water in every fortnight or so, but if you're in the Northern Hemisphere at high latitudes (eg the UK) really you'd want to let the plant go dormant and stop watering altogether for winter soon. If they don't root until Spring they won't come to any harm (bar a bit of shrivelling). Hope that helps.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

The info given is as close as it comes. Let the wounds scar over- about a week. Plant the pads just deep enough in compost (soil) so the pads stand up on there own. Once planted I do give a very very light watering if the soil is dry then don't water again until it's evident the pad is growing roots.
Too much water on a plant with on roots will just rot.
Good luck and fill free to post some pictures :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
kickice

Post by kickice »

thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

I live in the UK by the way. (Quite near you Phil, I live in Manchester!)

The pads vary in size. 2 are pretty small (about 3-4 inch), 2 are a couple inches bigger than that, and 1 is larger again.

I'll leave them a week or so, and then give it a go! I'll take some pictuers for sure and post 'em here.
kickice

Post by kickice »

ah I just remembered something else I wanted to ask!

The pads have been cut right at the narrowest part. So do I need to cut a bit more off the bottoms to make the base bigger? Or can I plant them as they are?
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

leave them as they are. The roots grow from the aeroles on opuntia pads so you will not have any problems.

What, no pictures yet :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it