Rain in July? That's a first!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Rain in July? That's a first!

Post by Steve Johnson »

As if the growing season hasn't already been strange enough...

It's not unusual to have tropical moisture coming through coastal Socal in Summer, but it moved in early this year and stuck. High cloud cover earlier this week got thick enough to start acting like we could see some rain. And we sure did. The rainfall on Thursday totaled .04", which beat the previous record for measurable rain on 7/11 -- .03" in 1889. Not even close to a drench, although my cacti seemed to appreciate a bit of Summer moisture from the sky. As for me, I could live without this tropical yech. With that said, it was nice to see a rainbow Thursday evening:

The gawdawful humidity seems to be abating somewhat, and I hope it'll be a good long time before I see monsoonal clouds that should be in the desert encroaching on my area again.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Re: Rain in July? That's a first!

Post by iann »

Rain in July? I wish!
--ian
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

Ha! On friday we got two inches in half an hour!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

For me i wouldn't call it rain...not even enough to get the ground wet out here :( Too bad, could have saved me a lot of time watering!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CoronaCactus wrote:For me i wouldn't call it rain...not even enough to get the ground wet out here :( Too bad, could have saved me a lot of time watering!
Well, this is interesting...

The forecast in my area has a slight chance of rain and thunder showers Sunday night and Monday. Normally that type of Summer forecast disappears before the rain does, but this time it could be different. I may have to give the collection a break from my regular watering Saturday night in case Mother Nature will do it for me. Summer rain when the cacti want to keep growing sounds like a pretty good deal -- and for once I don't have to be paranoid about sky juice!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)