Outside in NE Alabama

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
mg2007

Outside in NE Alabama

Post by mg2007 »

I am slowly developing a collection that will survive outdoors in NE Alabama. Most will be Echinocereus species, including different varieties of E, reichenbachii, which are more tolerant of moisture than most cacti in my experience. I grow in pots, and they are situated on the edge of my front porch or my carport, where they get quite a bit of sun but not much rain - an important consideration here, where we get on the average about 55 inches a year. This year, though, we already have 40 inches - 10 inches more than the average year to date! Other cacti I currently have include several Stenocactus (Echinofossulocactus) and Gymnocalycium castellanoi (spelling?) I do not plan to acquire any Opuntia!
Kenneth Quinn
MJPapay

Re: Outside in NE Alabama

Post by MJPapay »

Kenneth,

Do not be surprised if the E. reichenbachii are somewhat short-lived. I only manage to keep them alive for a couple of years.

55 inches is a lot of annual rain for any "desert" cactus, but you could try Echinocactus texensis.

I reckon you're near or about the Huntsville area, no? The juxtaposition of cotton fields to the west and the hills and forested deep valleys to the east is picturesque and satisfying, or was when I visited Huntsville all those years ago.

Mike
mg2007

Re: Outside in NE Alabama

Post by mg2007 »

Sixty-five miles SE of Huntsville - I used to work at UAH, and my ex-wife was from there. A beautiful place.