BromeliadGuide?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
CactusBoss

BromeliadGuide?

Post by CactusBoss »

I wonder if this has been suggested before. The family seems large enough to have a site devoted to them I just wonder if there would be enough public interest for a site like CactiGuide devoted to bromeliads
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
daiv
Site Admin

Re: BromeliadGuide?

Post by daiv »

I'd love to build it. Already got the domain: http://bromeliadguide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need to implement a better method of processing the pictures and then it is something that could be done quite easily.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

I enjoy browsing through planetbromeliad on facebook, so many exotic specimens are posted, the guide would be informative and useful. perhaps some members of that site can share their photos.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Can't wait for this! I'm lovin Bromeliads just as much as cacti now. Are you gonna launch a Bromeliad forum along with the site and maybe a sub forum for other tropicals?
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well what I plan to do is build a platform that makes it so that adding a new plant family is simply "just add pictures". The forum would be an "add on" module that may or may not be used. I keep saying this, but time keeps ticking and I don't get it done. I have in mind exactly what I want to build. I'm considering actually hiring someone to to the actual work as my available time is so thin.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Christopher Howard

Post by Christopher Howard »

I think that'd be a great resource. If it happens, I'll be grateful. That's a family of plants I'd like to find out more about.

Thanks Daiv, for all you've put together.
Dalesmicro

Post by Dalesmicro »

Before I got interested in cacti, one of my main interests was bromeliads. (It seems I am attracted to families that are mainly restricted to the New World as I also have an interest in the spurges in the Euphorbiaceae.) I would be happy to contribute pictures of Mexican plants in the wild and pictures through the microscope of pollen and trichomes. Count me in! Regards, Dale
GreenThumb

Post by GreenThumb »

I'm in as well, please!
:alien: :thumbright: :toothy4:
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

Bromeliads are so interesting looking. Ocassionally one has a death wish and forces me to take it home. I would like to learn more about them.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Love bromeliads, but they can be nastier than cactus with their razor sharp leaf edges. Some, dyckia and puya in particular, have killer teeth! I find that I only need gloves when repotting cacti, but I need gloves AND long sleeves with my broms! Here are just a few...
DSC_0229.JPG
DSC_0229.JPG (68.94 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
DSC_0931.JPG
DSC_0931.JPG (56.75 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
DSC_8661.JPG
DSC_8661.JPG (68.74 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
D7K_2308.JPG
D7K_2308.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

The best place for interactive discussions on Bromeliads is Planet Bromeliad on Facebook. Although there are many nifty species especially Tillandsia and Aechemia, many of the outstanding Neoregilia and Bilbergia are hybrids. I have a collection of over 50 species of Tillandsia and representative species of six other genera. Not all Dykia are nasty, if you can get a hybid naked lady it is fairly cold tolerant and actually grows in the Jacksonville zoo and the original Marineland on the Florida East coast. I am totally amazed at the wonderful colors of Neoregilia hybrids. If you would like a link to frost tolerant Bromeliads I will gladly send it to you.
Maury

Post by Maury »

If peoples are still interested in the "BromeliadGuide" concept I have a half a dozen species that I grow in the ground here in Austin, Texas. I am certainly willing to make a few contributions.

http://edensouthwest.blogspot.com/